Central Arkansas venues have a full week of commemorative events planned
The Friday night line is open. Closing out:
* FATAL ACCIDENT: Chris Wright, 24, of Maumelle, was killed in a two-car accident in the 13400 block of Cantrell Road, near Sam Peck Road, about 7 a.m. this morning. He was a passenger in a Honda Civic being driven westbound by Brandon Sebor of Conway. It reportedly crossed the center line and collided with an eastbond Nissan Altima driven by Micheal Habermueller of Hot Springs. Drivers were listed in the report with "incapacitating" injuries and charges are pending.
* CRIME WAVE INTERRUPTED: Little Rock police today filed a raft of charges against an alleged two-man crime wave — Andrea Ussery (11 robbery counts) and Tim Martin (6 counts). The charges cover robberies of an individual outside the Hillcrest Kroger; a Site store on Cantrell; Exxons at Markham and Van Buren and on South University; a Walgreen, Mapco and Family Dollar on 12th Street; Dollar General stores on Roosevelt and 65th; a Church's Chicken on Geyer Springs and on M.L. King; a Valero and a Shell station on Col Glenn; a Walgreen's on University; a Dollar General on Baseline; a Food Mart on Roosevelt, and two construction workers at 30th and Jefferson.
* STOP THE VIOLENCE: Bennie Johnson, who leads Stop the Violence, says the group will have a rally at 11 a.m. Saturday at 12th and Woodrow to demonstrate the need for action to stem the big jump in homicides in Little Rock this year — up to 37, I think, a 50 percent jump against last year according to one account I read. A recent killing included a motorist fatally shot while driving near 12th and Woodrow. The group has long worked against violence in the center city.
* BE STILL MY HEART: Word is that Mayor Jill "Republican" Dabbs of Bryant has been on warpath this week, wielding a job ax. Details when I have them. So far, this Tea Party Republican been stymied in attempts to raise her pay and that of a pal, City Clerk Heather "Republican" Kizer, and to raise city taxes, but her term has three years to run.
* TOP NEWS: I see AP has judged release of the West Memphis 3 the top news story of the year in Arkansas. Crystal Bridges' opening only made No. 6. At least it beat the dead blackbirds. And, no, the Fayetteville High football championship didn't make the list.
* MOTORYCYCLE DEATH: Bella Vista Alderman J.D. Shrum was killed in a motorcycle accident, 40/29 reports.
If you believe in the concept of the United States of America, Martin Luther King,…
NOW we get Trump's cabinet picks! (We knew it wasn't competence or even experience, necessarily.)…
"Scholar Predicts The US Will Become A Kleptocracy Under Trump." "Sarah Kendzior has a pretty…