Find out more →

Get unlimited access. Become a digital member!

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Mark Martin scolded for lack of election prep

Posted By on Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 9:07 AM

NOT ME: Secretary of State Mark Martin blames outdated website on predecessor who left office at end of 2010.
  • NOT ME: Secretary of State Mark Martin blames outdated website on predecessor who left office at end of 2010.

NOT ME: Secretary of State Mark Martin blames outdated website on predecessor who left office at end of 2010.
  • NOT ME: Secretary of State Mark Martin blames outdated website on predecessor who left office at end of 2010.
Roy Ockert, columnist for the Jonesboro Sun, went looking for 2012 election information — it is 2012, after all — on the secretary of state's website and wasn't impressed by what he found.

Most of the information you’ll find there for candidates, news organizations and other citizens is left over from the 2010 election.

For example, to help people determine where the various candidates for the State Senate and House of Representatives will be running, there are maps of the districts you can download. The only trouble is they are the old maps. Secretary of State Mark Martin was involved in the redistricting process after the 2010 Census, but he hasn’t yet found time to get someone in his office to make new maps available on the website.

On the front page of the Elections Division is an elections calendar for 2012, which points out that noon Sunday was the first day for nonpartisan judicial candidates to file petitions for ballot access. It doesn’t say where these petitions should be filed, what form is required or how many signatures must be gathered. And frankly I doubt that any government office was open Sunday to take the petitions. Maybe Monday.

But that calendar says we’re having a general election, a presidential election no less, on Nov. 6, and there’s a lot of paperwork to get filed, a lot of words to fly, between now and then.

There's more. Lots more.

PS — Ockert didn't even mention the lack of an updated printed or on-line initiated act guideline, with signature requirements. That's another process underway right this minute.

UPDATE: This is rich. Roy Ockert has shared a response he received from the secretary of state's office. His complaints are legitimate, the letter says, though ONE piece of information he sought actually was there. But what I love is that aide Mark Myers, who'd laugh you out of the room if you said Barack Obama inherited a financial disaster from George Bush, is blaming the former secretary of state for the problem. I kid you not.



By and large your criticisms were legitimate. However, you were incorrect on one. You can look up 2010 election results anyway you like, just not on the same page.

This goes to a systemic change made by the previous administration.

Here is the link to the 2010 election results page that allows you to search for any and all elections, just about any way you would like to do so.

We're working on the rest of the things, but as I mentioned before a technology change has forced the office to prioritize its efforts across all divisions. You just happened onto one of our next projects.

As always, if you have any questions please do not hesitate to call Alex Reed (501.682.1217) or reach either of us via email.


Warm Regards,
- Mark
Mark Myers
Arkansas Secretary of State
Director of Strategic Initiatives

Tags: ,


Speaking of Secretary Of State Mark Martin, Arkansas Elections

Comments (16)

Showing 1-16 of 16

Add a comment

Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-16 of 16

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Most Shared

Most Viewed

  • ASU quarterback says someone killed his dog

    Arkansas State University Quarterback Fredi Knighten posted a photo recently on the Internet that said his dog had been stolen and killed, then returned to him. ASU thinks the episode is unrelated to the university or football.
  • Arkansas auditor finds friendlier court for $160 million U.S. savings bond claim

    State Auditor Andrea Lea this week found a friendlier court for her claim to take state possessionof perhaps $160 million in unclaimed U.S. savings bonds for the state's benefit.
  • Task force appears set to move forward with tweaked private option; battle looms over managed care

    The Health Reform Task Force had its penultimate meeting today; by law, it must issue a report with recommendations by the end of this year. All indications are that the task force will recommend continuing the private option with a few GOP-friendly tweaks. The governor will be negotiating with the federal government on just what shape the private option (perhaps with a snappy new name) will take in 2017 and beyond, once the state's current agreement with the feds comes to an end. The once hotly controversial issue has been fairly muted in task force discussions. The fireworks, instead, have come with how to handle the rest of the Medicaid program, with the state's consultant, the Stephen Group, suggesting that the state could save hundreds of millions of dollars by moving to managed care.
  • Tuesday's open line and news roundup

    Here's the open line and news roundup.

Most Recent Comments



© 2015 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation