Find out more →

Get unlimited access. Become a digital member!

Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Republican war on birth control

Posted By on Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Let's have a roll call on this one. Sen. Marco Rubio has responded to the Obama administration's effort to prevent birth control discrimination by introducing legislation, with 26 Republican co-sponsors, that would allow any employer to deny contraception coverage under a group health insurance policy. Any employer, church affiliation or not.

Working women of America — and those covered by spouses' insurance — would find their reproductive freedom and, for those who use pills for medical reasons, their health subject to the whims of an employer.

Polls already show 58 percent favor President Obama's policy to prohibit birth control discrimination by some church-related organizations in health plans (though not churches). I'd think the numbers would rise on this more sweeping usurpation of women's medical autonomy.

Of course Sen. John Boozman of Arkansas wants to play Dr. No to womens' reproductive rights. He's a co-sponsor.

Meanwhile, add Sen. John Kerry to the wobbly Democrats.

Tags: , , , ,


Speaking of...

Comments (31)

Showing 1-31 of 31

Add a comment

Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-31 of 31

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Most Shared

Most Viewed

  • ASU quarterback says someone killed his dog

    Arkansas State University Quarterback Fredi Knighten posted a photo recently on the Internet that said his dog had been stolen and killed, then returned to him. ASU thinks the episode is unrelated to the university or football.
  • Arkansas auditor finds friendlier court for $160 million U.S. savings bond claim

    State Auditor Andrea Lea this week found a friendlier court for her claim to take state possessionof perhaps $160 million in unclaimed U.S. savings bonds for the state's benefit.
  • Task force appears set to move forward with tweaked private option; battle looms over managed care

    The Health Reform Task Force had its penultimate meeting today; by law, it must issue a report with recommendations by the end of this year. All indications are that the task force will recommend continuing the private option with a few GOP-friendly tweaks. The governor will be negotiating with the federal government on just what shape the private option (perhaps with a snappy new name) will take in 2017 and beyond, once the state's current agreement with the feds comes to an end. The once hotly controversial issue has been fairly muted in task force discussions. The fireworks, instead, have come with how to handle the rest of the Medicaid program, with the state's consultant, the Stephen Group, suggesting that the state could save hundreds of millions of dollars by moving to managed care.
  • Tuesday's open line and news roundup

    Here's the open line and news roundup.

Most Recent Comments



© 2015 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation