The day is done. The Thursday night line is open. Final words:
* BRIDGE TO ARGENTA: The state Highway and Transportation Department issues a reminder of a public hearing from 4 to 7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 23, at the Arkansas Transit Association Building, 620 W. Broadway, North Little Rock about the Broadway Bridge. The department yearns to start a replacement for the bridge in 2013, with two years of traffic nightmares to ensue. Others prefer alternatives, particularly a new bridge upriver first, then conversion of the existing span to a park. The department will discuss five alternatives, including no action at all for the time being. That last one sounds good if the alternative is a teardown in 2013.
* PERFECT RECORD: 4th District Republican candidate Tom Cotton is still batting 1.000 on extremist endorsements — Citizens United, Club for Growth, NRA, Tea Party, United States Chamber of Commerce and now National Right to Life. Did we miss the Family Council? How about Chick-fil-A?
* I SWORE I WOULDN'T: But New York magazine's item on the Oxford American dustup is noteworthy for its reader comments. Scathing. In addition to doing himself no favors, fired editor Marc Smirnoff dragged the whole state of Arkansas along with him. And then there's Slate. And also, Jezebel.
* OLYMPICS HEROISM: U.S. sprinter Manteo Mitchell ran half of his 400-meter leg on the 1600-meter relay in a preliminary heat with a broken leg. The team qualified. Wow.
* SCHADENFREUDE EDITION: Republicans are buzzing about yet another family values politician hooking up outside the bounds of matrimony — this time, to spice the broth, with the spouse of another family values politico. "Traditional marriage" — one man, one woman and .... another woman. At least one of these is, of course, a Chick-fil-Ater who participated in National Nuggets for Jesus Day.
* SHOOTING SUSPECT SOUGHT: The Pulaski sheriff's office today circulated a photo of a man they say is a suspect in a recent shooting at Roland. A man stopped to check on a car parked on a driveway and the windows of his car were blown out by an apparent shotgun blast from woods nearby. Lt. Carl Minden said he didn't know what led detectives to the suspect or the explanation for the shooting.
Ditto to PVN.
Every time I read virtually anything about the place, The Natural…
But anti-abortion laws have NOTHING to do with medical science and everything to do with…
Brandi sounds suspiciously like Missy Irvin's son or Nate Bells burglar
A&E Feature / To-Do List / In Brief / Movie Reviews / Music Reviews / Theater Reviews / A&E News / Art Notes / Graham Gordy / Books / Media / Dining Reviews / Dining Guide / What's Cookin' / Calendar / The Televisionist / Movie Listings / Gallery Listings