Monday, December 17, 2012

CORRECTION: Claims Commission hasn't ruled on death claim

Posted By on Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 3:45 PM

CORRECTION: The Arkansas Claims Commission has NOT yet issued a ruling on the claim for $5 million from the estate of a man killed in 2009 by a former Division of Youth Services charge who had been released by the DYS.

I posted here here earlier an erroneous item, based on a misinterpretation of a docket sheet distributed by the Commission, that the full amount of the claim had been awarded. A spokesman for the law firm pressing the claim said a fax received by media on which the report here and elsewhere was based only stated the higher $5 million claim sought by the estate, but the firm still hasn't received findings from the Commission.

Maurice "Beau" Clark, 67, was killed during a June 2009 home-invasion robbery by Antonio Terry and three accomplices. Terry, who was 17 at the time of the robbery, reportedly beat Clark then executed him with a shot to the head after helping to ransack his home for valuables. Terry was later sentenced to 65 years in prison.

Attorneys for Clark's estate argued on November 14 that Terry had been identified as a danger to society by DYS caseworkers, and yet was released anyway. After DYS was found liable in the case, attorneys for the DYS argued that a $200,000 award would be sufficent. The $5 million dollar award was the top end of what attorneys for Clark's family had requested from the Claims Commission,

Story on damages hearing.

Tags: , ,

Favorite

Speaking of...

Comments

Showing 1-1 of 1

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-1 of 1

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

  • Democrats back medical marijuana, sort of

    An AP Twitter caught my attention with this headline: "Eldridge, Arkansas Democrats back medical marijuana." The full story is more nuanced in the current Arkansas context.
    • Aug 29, 2016
  • Democrats sue to removed convicted Republican from House ballot

    State Rep. Johnnie Bolin, represented by the Democratic Party counsel Chris Burks, sued today in Drew County to have Republican James Hall removed from the November general election ballot as the Republican candidate for the currently vacant House District 9 seat.
    • Aug 29, 2016
  • Another week, another open line

    Here's the Monday open line and the daily news video.
    • Aug 29, 2016
  • More »

Readers also liked…

  • When cops cross the line with prostitutes

    Sam Eifling has a new article in The New Republic about cops engaging in sex with prostitutes to make arrests. It revisits Fort Smith, where questions have been raised before about vice cop acitivities.
    • Jan 29, 2015
  • Is Arkansas planning to withdraw from PARCC, the Common Core testing consortium?

    Rep. Mark Lowery, a Republican from Maumelle, has introduced a bill that would put the brakes on Arkansas's implementation of standardized testing based on Common Core State Standards. Lowery says the bill is motivated in part because legislators have been told by ADE officials, unofficially, that "the PARCC contract will not be renewed" beyond the current academic year.
    • Feb 3, 2015
  • NLR high forfeits 2013-14 varsity wins

    North Little Rock High School is forfeiting all of last year's varsity wins in football and boys basketball — a state championship trophy — because an ineligible player participated.
    • Feb 5, 2015

Most Shared

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2016 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation