Monday, July 15, 2013

Mike Ross reports almost $2 million in gubernatorial campaign report

Posted By on Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 2:10 PM

HAPPY DAY: Mike Ross claims a fund-raising record.
  • HAPPY DAY: Mike Ross claims a fund-raising record.
Democratic gubernatorial candidate Mike Ross reported today that he's already raised almost $2 million for his campaign. He faces both a Democratic primary opponent, Bill Halter, and the winner of a Republican primary that so far has three candidates — Curtis Coleman, Debra Hobbs and Asa Hutchinson.

Halter's report is expected later this afternoon. Others will be filing today, too. Coleman earlier said he'd raised about $100,000 in the quarter, including $25,000 from himself, and had $16,000 on hand.

UPDATE: Halter said late in the afternoon that, though he raised only $92,000 in the quarter and has about $837,000 on hand:

"Bill Halter already has the funds needed to win the Democratic nomination for governor. While we raised less than we had hoped this quarter we still have one million dollars on hand and continue to exceed our grassroots organizing goals. Ultimately this election won’t be won or lost based on who has the most or least money. It will be about who has the best ideas to move Arkansas forward."

Noted: $640,000 of Halter's money is in the form of an earlier personal loan by the candidate. PS — A single $4,000 contribution from a San Francisco contributor would appear to exceed the $2000 limit. A Halter spokesman said he believes that's an entry that should have been listed as contributions from two people, husband and wife, but an error clearly was made and would need to be corrected.

UPDATE II: Asa! is spinning that he met his goal by raising $378,000 in the quarter — a sixth of what Ross raised. He has $649,000 on hand. And a sort of wacky primary in the offing.

Ross almost doubled the $1.05 million Mike Beebe raised in the first quarter of his 2005 campaign, the Ross campaign said. It said this was a record opening quarter for an Arkansas governor's race and represents contributions from 2.400 5,000 people, plus promises of volunteer and other help from more than 2,500 more. About 80 percent of the money came in individual contributions.

Ross' news release:

Mike Ross for Governor has raised nearly $2 million in its first opening quarter, setting a new record in Arkansas political history, and has signed up more than 5,000 supporters from across the state of Arkansas.

The campaign announced on Monday it had raised $1.97 million since it began on April 17th, ending the first quarter on June 30th with $1.70 million cash on hand. The announcement follows news last week that 62 of the 75 county sheriffs across the state of Arkansas endorsed Ross for governor. Ross, a Democrat from Prescott who now resides in Little Rock, is a former small business owner, state senator and U.S. Congressman.

“Our campaign to move Arkansas forward is resonating across the state, and I am so thankful to the thousands of Arkansans who have contributed, volunteered and endorsed our positive vision for Arkansas’s future,” said Ross. “We have a lot of work to do before Election Day, but I think it’s clear we’ve got a strong start and a lot of momentum on our side. I’m running for governor, because I love this state and I want to use my experience of bringing people together to focus on education and job creation. I believe in Arkansas, and I know by working together we can create a brighter future for our children and grandchildren and make this state an even better place to call home.”

The amount sets a new fundraising record in Arkansas political history for an opening quarter of a governor’s race, close to doubling Gov. Mike Beebe’s 2005 opening quarter total of $1.09 million, said Dustin Smith, Ross’s deputy campaign manager for finance. Smith also said more than 90 percent of all contributions came from Arkansans and no loans were made to the campaign.

“Arkansans from every single county in the state have contributed to Mike Ross for Governor, and we have been proud of the contributions, endorsements and volunteers that have poured in from all over Arkansas,” said Smith. “Having signed up more than 5,000 supporters from across the state, the swell of grassroots support we’ve received has given Mike and our campaign a strong start that will carry us through Election Day.”

Smith added that more than 90 percent of all contributions are designated for the primary election and more than 80 percent of all contributors are individuals.

The next quarterly finance report is due on October 15, 2013, for the quarter ending September 30.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Favorite

Speaking of...

Comments (14)

Showing 1-14 of 14

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-14 of 14

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Readers also liked…

  • Blue Hog says Fort Smith police tried to hack into his computer

    Matt Campbell, author of the Blue Hog Report and a Little Rock lawyer, says in a new filing in a long-running lawsuit by a Fort Smith police officer against the department that a computer file sent by Fort Smith officer contained software intended to hack into his computer and make his hard drive unsafe.
    • Apr 14, 2015
  • From Dallas, creative thinking about the Interstate 30 project

    An urban planner in Dallas says freeways are not always the answer. Incorporating some creativity already being used in Dallas and looking at the Interstate 30 project from a broader perspective, here are ideas that Arkansas highway planners have not considered. But should.
    • Nov 6, 2015
  • Little Rock School District sued over refusal to release employee's records

    Matt Campbell, a Little Rock lawyer, said he filed a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit today against the Little Rock School District for its failure to provide personnel records of Teresa Gordon, a media specialist at Jefferson Elementary.
    • Apr 14, 2015

Most Shared

  • Department of Arkansas Heritage archeologist resigns

    Bob Scoggin, 50, the Department of Arkansas Heritage archeologist whose job it was to review the work of agencies, including DAH and the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department, for possible impacts on historic properties, resigned from the agency on Monday. Multiple sources say Scoggin, whom they describe as an "exemplary" employee who the week before had completed an archeological project on DAH property, was told he would be fired if he did not resign.
  • Trump proposes an unconstitutional ban on flag burning, revoking citizenship

    Donald Trump, the president-elect of the United States, this morning made a public statement, via Twitter, that the flag burning should be disallowed by law: "there must be consequences — perhaps loss of citizenship or year in jail!"
  • Child welfare too often about 'punishing parents,' DCFS consultant tells legislators

    Reforms promised by the Division of Children and Family Services are "absolutely necessary," the president of DCFS's independent consultant told a legislative committee this morning. But they still may not be enough to control the state's alarming growth in foster care cases.
  • Donald Trump taps Tom Price for HHS Secretary; Medicaid and Medicare cuts could be next

    The selection of Tom Price as HHS secretary could signal that the Trump administration will dismantle the current healthcare safety net, both Medicaid and Medicare.
  • Fake economics

    Fake news is a new phenomenon in the world of politics and policy, but hokey economic scholarship has been around as long as Form 1040 and is about as reliable as the news hoaxes that enlivened the presidential campaign.

Visit Arkansas

Arkansas remembers Pearl Harbor

Arkansas remembers Pearl Harbor

Central Arkansas venues have a full week of commemorative events planned

Most Viewed

  • Bills filed to end 'fair dismissal' process for teachers in takeover districts and principals statewide

    Reps. Bruce Cozart (R-Hot Springs) and Mark Lowery (R-Maumelle) have filed two bills aimed at rolling back the labor law that establishes due process for firing teachers and certain administrators in Arkansas.
  • Department of Arkansas Heritage archeologist resigns

    Bob Scoggin, 50, the Department of Arkansas Heritage archeologist whose job it was to review the work of agencies, including DAH and the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department, for possible impacts on historic properties, resigned from the agency on Monday. Multiple sources say Scoggin, whom they describe as an "exemplary" employee who the week before had completed an archeological project on DAH property, was told he would be fired if he did not resign.

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2016 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation