Find out more →

Get unlimited access. Become a digital member!

Friday, April 18, 2014

Obama administration delays Keystone pipeline process, extends review period

Posted By on Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Laura Barron-Lopez at the Hill reports that sources say that the State Department will extend the review period for the Keystone XL pipeline, which would potentially push the decision back until after the midterm elections: 

The administration is stopping the clock on the review of the project, one source said, while they await the outcome of litigation in Nebraska related to a portion of the pipeline.

A Nebraska judge struck down the pipeline's route through the state in February, and said the state’s public service commission must evaluate and approve Keystone’s route.

The Obama administration is currently conducting its final interagency review of the $5.4 billion oil-sands pipeline, which is expected to wrap up by early May. Earlier this year, the administration released its final environmental impact analysis on the project, clearing the way for determining whether it is in the national interest.

Countdown to Sen. Mark Pryor grabbing the opportunity to put distance between himself and the president on this? Pryor recently joined ten other Senate Democrats in sending a letter to President Obama pushing him to approve the pipeline, asking for a decision by the end of May. 

For good background on the risks and questionable need of the pipeline, head on over to InsideClimate News, who partnered with the Times on our coverage of the Mayflower oil spill. 

Sounds like Barron-Lopez will be updating the developing story on Keystone here

UPDATE: Sen. Mary Landrieu has already called the delay "irresponsible, unnecessary and unacceptable." Can Pryor be far behind?  

Tags: , , , ,

Speaking of...

Comments

Showing 1-1 of 1

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-1 of 1

Add a comment

More by David Ramsey

  • Democratic party chair: Mark Martin's response to tax problems "despicable"

    Democratic Party of Arkansas Chair Vincent Insalaco released a statement today on Secretary of State Mark Martin, who appears to have improperly taken two homestead tax exemptions (only one is allowed) since at least 2008 and perhaps as far back as 2003. Martin blamed his trouble on opponents' "politics of personal destruction." Insalaco said Martin's response was "despicable."
    • Aug 18, 2014
  • Open line

    The line is open. It's yours.
    • Aug 17, 2014
  • More »

Most Shared

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2014 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation