Thursday, May 29, 2014

1st District candidate Jackie McPherson calls for Shinseki resignation; 'Not yet,' Pryor says

Posted By on Thu, May 29, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Jackie McPherson of Heber Springs, the Democratic candidate for 1st District Congress, has joined a growing list of candidates and officeholders who say Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki should resign over problems in the veterans health care system. Pat Hays, the Democratic candidate for 2nd District, called for this last week.

Republicans are busy making this a campaign issue against Sen. Mark Pryor, who's defended his actions seeking changes in the VA system, but who so far been silent on the fate of Shinseki even as a growing number of Democrats have joined in resignation calls. McPherson's release said:

“The health and well-being of veterans who have served this country must be our first priority. General Shinseki has served his country honorably, and we thank him for his service, but we cannot ignore the systematic failures of the VA’s health system. Our veterans deserve better. It is time for him to move on. I hope Congress will use this opportunity to take a deeper look at how we deliver services to our veterans and come together to ensure that all of our veterans have access to top-quality health care.”


UPDATE I: Fox 16's David Goins got a comment from Sen. Pryor on the issue.

Senator Mark Pryor, D-Arkansas, said Thursday he is not calling for Veterans Affairs Secretary Eric Shinseki to resign yet, saying "I'm looking closely at everything" in regards to the unfolding VA scandal.

Pryor said Thursday he is "pretty mad" and "outraged" about the revelations over the last several weeks.

"In terms of Shenseki's resignation, my view on that is not yet, I'm not going to call for that yet," Pryor says. "There's an interim report right now, there's more to follow sometime in the next couple weeks, I'm not quite sure exactly when the final report comes out, but I have a lot of questions about what he knew."
UPDATE II: The  Democratic Senate Campaign Committee is blasting Republican Rep. Tom Cotton, who's challenging Pryor, for budget votes that were damaging to veterans and for politicizing the crisis despite criticism of the tactics from another Republican. Said their release:

Tom Cotton is now politicizing the horrible crisis at the Veterans Administration for his own personal political gain, but it is Cotton that has consistently put his reckless ideology and own political ambition ahead of veterans. Cotton voted against additional funding for the Veterans Administration to hire additional claims processors to address the backlog and he supported the ideological Republican Study Committee budget that would cut benefits for retired and disabled veterans in order to cut taxes for corporations and millionaires.

Now Cotton’s own Republican colleague has suggested he has gone too far. The Hill reports that “the Republican chairman of the House Veterans Affairs Committee, Jeff Miller (Fla.), said Wednesday it was not appropriate for Crossroads GPS, a conservative group, to use the Veterans Affairs controversy in ads” just like Cotton is doing.


Tags: , , , ,

Favorite

Speaking of...

Comments (5)

Showing 1-5 of 5

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-5 of 5

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Readers also liked…

Most Shared

  • The South, including Arkansas, is failing poor kids who want to go to college

    The Atlantic has an important perspective on the South's "cycle of failing higher education."  Arkansas stands out for the cost barriers it presents to low-income students.
  • School takeovers erode democracy, target minority communities

    New reporting shows state takeover of schools around the country, including in Little Rock, have disproportionately affected minority communities.
  • Arkansas legislator tied to fatal bus crash in Louisiana

    Republican state Rep. David Wallace of Leachville, a current candidate for state Senate, has been identified as the owner of a company that rounded up a group of workers, apparently undocumented aliens, for flood relief work in Louisiana, including one with a poor driving record who was at the wheel in a fatal bus crash on Interstate 10.
  • The boys on the tracks are back

    A lawsuit filed Thursday in federal court in Little Rock bears notice for its effort to breathe life into the 29-year-old story most familiarly known as the Boys on the Tracks.
  • Dumas: Behind the Obamascare headlines

    Ernest Dumas explains in his Arkansas times column this week how Obamacare's problems can be fixed; why it isn't going away, and, most pertinently, why it's more lucrative for Arkansas to continue to expand the coverage pool, not dream up ways to shrink it.

Most Viewed

  • Arkansas legislator tied to fatal bus crash in Louisiana

    Republican state Rep. David Wallace of Leachville, a current candidate for state Senate, has been identified as the owner of a company that rounded up a group of workers, apparently undocumented aliens, for flood relief work in Louisiana, including one with a poor driving record who was at the wheel in a fatal bus crash on Interstate 10.
  • Creeping divorce case secrecy: Is it any way to run a public court?

    An Arkansas Court of Appeals case today illustrates the creeping practice of judges' granting secrecy to divorce litigants. It's not good public policy.
  • The shadowy world of Hillary Clinton in the New York Times

    This is funny. A reader named "AR" wrote Talking Points Memo about the New York Times' fondness for the words shadows and clouds in coverage of the campaign of Hillary Clinton.
  • UPDATE: Metroplan signs off on waiver for Concrete Gulch

    UPDATE: The Metroplan board has voted with scant opposition to waive the existing six-lane limit on area freeways so that the highway department may build a 10-lane concrete gulch through the heart of Little Rock. Leslie Newell Peacock will be back with more after a while. A grassroots group presented spirited opposition, all ignored.
  • Conway Mayor Tab Townsell picked to lead Metroplan

    After interviewing two finalists, the Metroplan board chose one of its long-time members, Conway Mayor Tab Townsell, to become director of the planning agency, succeeding the retiring director Jim McKenzie.

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2016 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation