Monday, July 13, 2015

State sued over refusal to put same-sex spouses on birth certificates

Posted By on Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 2:09 PM

click to enlarge A YOUNG PLAINTIFF: The newborn at right, son of Leigh and Jana Jacobs, is one of the plaintiffs in a lawsuit seeking to make the state put both his mothers' names on his birth certificate.
  • A YOUNG PLAINTIFF: The newborn at right, son of Leigh and Jana Jacobs, is one of the plaintiffs in a lawsuit seeking to make the state put both his mothers' names on his birth certificate.
As promised last week, a lawsuit was filed in Pulaski Circuit Court today on behalf of three couples — all married women — who have been unable to get both parents' names on birth certificates.

They include Leigh and Jana Jacobs, who related their problems to me Friday. In each case, the birth mother was allowed to have her name on the birth certificate, but hospital and state officials have said they wouldn't add the other parent without a court order. This complicates obtaining health insurance for the newborn under the coverage of the unrecognized parent.

The suit was filed by Cheryl Maples, who brought the first suit challenging the state's same-sex marriage ban, on behalf of the Jacobses, Marisa and Terrah Pavan and Courtney Kassel and Kelly Scott. Though these couples are married and all had children through a sperm donor, the suit said it believes the state is applying this restriction to unmarried same-sex couples as well.

The suit alleges equal protection and due process violations of the Arkansas and U.S. Constitutions because the state doesn't impose the same restrictions on heterosexual couples. Said the suit:

The Bureau of Vital Statistics routinely provides two–parent birth certificates to all children born to heterosexual couples, even those that are not married, without regard to how the children are conceived or whether a child shares a genetic connection to both parents.

In the case of a child born during a marriage, Ark. Code Anno. § 20-18-401 provides for mandatory inclusion of the spouse on the birth certificate unless there has been a finding that he spouse is NOT the parent or unless there is a sworn statement from the birth mother that her spouse is not the parent of her child. There is a strong
presumption that a spouse of a birth mother is also the child’s parent. Defendant’s policy is to unconstitutionally apply this to heterosexual married couples only.

Ark. Code Anno. § 20-18-401 also provides for the birth mother, if unmarried, to provide the name of the child’s other parent by way of a sworn affidavit. With such a sworn affidavit, the other parent is listed on the birth certificate without any other  showing of proof. Defendant’s policy is to unconstitutionally apply this to heterosexual
unmarried couples only.

The effect of this policy, the suit says, is to deprive the same-sex couples and their children of the "dignity, legitimacy, security, support and protections provided to children of heterosexual couples,"

The state Health Department Friday confirmed it was following this policy, but indicated it was mandated by rule to do so until the state Board of Health could change its regulations and the birth certificate form to a gender-free version. Any board rule would require legislative review, which wouldn't necessarily be an easy process.

The suit notes that the enforcement of the rule harms same-sex couples by making it difficult to obtain Social Security numbers and passports; prevents a non-birth mother from making medical and school decisions for her child; restricts the ability to apply for benefits through the non-birth mother; harms inheritance rights; doesn't protect the parent-child relationship in case of a divorce or child support dispute.

The suit asks that Health Department officials be enjoined from continuing to discriminate against same-sex couples. The defendant is Nathaniel Smith, director of the department.

I have sent questions to the attorney general, who'll have to respond for the state, and the state Health Department.

UPDATE: Beyond confirming the attorney general will defend the state, Leslie Rutledge's office declined further comment at this time.

A Health Department spokesman said its comments now had to be limited because of pending litigation. But the agency continues to move ahead, as it said Friday, on resolving the issue through Board of Health action.

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Favorite

Speaking of...

Comments (15)

Showing 1-15 of 15

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-15 of 15

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Readers also liked…

  • SB 202: Arkansas's 'road map' to gay discrimination

    Michelangelo Signorile, writing for Huffington Post, makes a strong case that the battle for gay rights isn't nearly over. He says Arkansas's Senate Bill 202, a carefully crafted means of using religion as a pretext to protect overt discrimimination against gay people, is a road map to the battle by religious conservatives against equal treatment of gay people.
    • Feb 20, 2015
  • Jean Gordon to receive Truth Teller award

    Jean Gordon, who's worked a half-century in just about every social justice and peace movement you can name, will receive the Arkansas Community Institute's 2014 Community Truth Teller Award at a program at 5:30 p.m. Thursday at the library's Darragh Center
    • Nov 18, 2014
  • Doug Smith, long-time Arkansas newsman, dies at 74

    Doug Smith, a veteran Arkansas journalist who retired in 2013 after 21 years as a reporter, columnist and editorial writer for the Arkansas Times, has died at 74.
    • Nov 27, 2014

Most Shared

  • Same story on Hillary

    The past two weeks saw the collapse of not one, but two ballyhooed Hillary Clinton investigations. Even after two years, $7 million and 800-odd pages, Rep. Trey Gowdy's celebrated Benghazi committee — the eighth of its kind — failed to come up with hurtful new evidence against Secretary Clinton in the tragic events in Libya on Sept. 11, 2012. But then that wasn't necessarily the point.
  • Dumas analyzes Clinton post-FBI decision

    Ernie Dumas weighs Hillary Clinton's candidacy in light of her defense of issues phony and legitimate, including the e-mail matter that reached at least one investigative conclusion today. A bigger issue: Middle East diplomacy.
  • A July 4 grab bag

    Taylor Moore, a student at Southern Arkansas University, has been pressing, unsuccessfully, for months for action on unwanted sexual groping by another student last December.
  • Life, death and the Arkansas Constitution at stake in execution case

    The Arkansas Constitution and three-branch government is at stake in a last-gasp appeal of an Arkansas Supreme Court ruling on drugs used in executions.

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2016 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation