Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Ashdown school officials defend prayer exercises

Posted By on Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 7:33 AM

KTBS.com - Shreveport, LA News, Weather and Sports
KTBS reports on yet another public school district — this time in Ashdown — that thinks it has found a way around court dictates against organized prayer activities in public schools.

The issue arises because the Freedom from Religion Foundation wrote the school district objecting to a student's report that the school band director was leading prayer and about public prayers at football games.

School Superintendent Jason Sanders said he'd consulted the Alliance for Defending Freedom, a group founded by right-wing evangelists that promotes prayer at public events, and said the district had been assured  what the district was doing was legal.

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled, however, that organized prayer, even if student-led, is not permissible at football games. Sanders said the band director would no longer lead prayer at events, but students would. If it's a school-controlled event, this would still appear to be a problem

At the last Ashdown football game, dozens of students gathered on the field for prayer before the game, somewhat akin to the gather-at-the-flagpole voluntary prayer exercises organized at many schools before classes.

"It's encouraged the students to understand that they can in fact pray in many different ways and different times," said Butch Riddle, First Baptist Church Pastor. Riddle says while still following the law, the letter has spurred students to step up more with their faith, commitment and convictions.
 
Sure. Pray anywhere, any time. Just don't force religion on the unwilling or those of different faiths in a public school setting.

Tags: , , , ,

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Speaking of...

Comments (27)

Showing 1-27 of 27

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-27 of 27

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Readers also liked…

Most Shared

  • Judge Griffen dismisses execution challenge; says hands tied by 'shameful' Ark. Supreme Court ruling

    Circuit Judge Wendell Griffen ruled today that he had no choice based on  a past Arkansas Supreme Court decision  but to dismiss a lawsuit by Death Row inmates seeking to challenge the constitutionality of the state's lethal injection process.But the judge did so unhappily with sharp criticism of the Arkansas Supreme Court for failing to address critical points raised in the lawsuit.
  • Metroplan sets public hearing on 30 Crossing

    The controversial 30 Crossing project to fatten up seven miles of Interstate 30 from U.S. Highway 67 in North Little Rock to Interstate 530 in Little Rock will once again get a public hearing, thanks to a vote of the Metroplan board Wednesday.
  • New suit argues Bruce Ward mentally unfit for execution

    A new lawsuit argues that Bruce Ward, scheduled to die by lethal injection next month, is not mentally competent to be executed. It says his condition has been worsened by decades of solitary confinement.

Visit Arkansas

Brant Collins named Group Travel Manager for Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism

Brant Collins named Group Travel Manager for Arkansas Department of Parks and Tourism

Collins to work toward increasing visitation to Arkansas by groups and promoting the state's appeal

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation