Thursday, November 5, 2015

Hot Springs 911 call tapes should be released, judge says

Posted By on Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 10:03 AM

Matt Campbell, the Blue Hog Report blogger who's sued for tapes of 911 calls in the death of the son of a Hot Springs circuit judge, just posted on his Facebook page that Judge Sam Bird had ruled in his favor.

Good news! Judge Bird agreed with me that the 911 calls were not investigatory in nature and should have been released when I requested them. He also found no substantial justification for the HSPD's refusal to provide them in the first place

Special Prosecutor Scott Ellington, who's investigating the death of 18-month-old Thomas Naramore, son of Circuit Judge Wade Naramore, had objected to release of 911 calls by Naramore and another person, saying they were part of the investigative file. Campbell argued that they were clearly public records whether they were to be used in the case or not.

THOMAS NARAMORE
  • THOMAS NARAMORE
Young Naramore died of heat-related causes, apparently after being left in a car for an extended period on a hot day. The family has said it was accidental. He died July 24. Ellington has not offered a specific reason for why it is taking so long to reach a decision in the case. The autopsy has been concluded. There has been some delay in the course of obtaining Naramore cell phone records from that day.

No word if the decision will be appealed, though the judge's decision appears to have revealed most of what the tapes themselves will reveal. If not appealed, the order says the tapes are to be provided to Campbell no later than noon Monday. The judge also awarded Campbell reasonable attorney fees and expenses. UPDATE: Campbell said the city was moving to produce the tapes, meaning no appeal. When released, the contents proved as the judge described, interspersed with anguished cries of the father. Several TV stations and the Democrat-Gazette have posted the tape on-line. Campbell said he has no plans to do so. He was only interested in FOI compliance.

Here's the judge's formal order.
The judge reviewed the calls and concluded that there is no case on record that indicates the calls should be exempt, except that he ordered redaction of a telephone number of the second call, from Naramore's father-in-law. The order revealed a little information.

The first call, according to the judge's order, was by Wade Naramore to a 911 operator:

"...in which he requested that someone come to help immediately because his son had been left in a car and he thought the child was dead. He gave the address of his location. The call was then transferred to the City 911 operator to whom he then repeated the request for "immediate" help because his son had been left in a car and he though the child was dead, again providing the address of his location. Naramore did not answer follow-up questions of the operator, apparently disconnecting after advising the operator that he had to call his wife.

The second call to 911 was from a man who identified himself as the father of Wade Naramore's wife. He stated the nature of the emergency, his telephone number and the location of the emergency. He said that his daughter had called his wife. He repeated the address of the emergency. He informed the operator that he was on the way there but would not be there when "they" arrived. He responded to the operator's question about the status of the child ("Is he breathing?" and "Is he awake?") by responding "I don't know." He said that the child was eighteen months old.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Favorite

Speaking of...

Comments (4)

Showing 1-4 of 4

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-4 of 4

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

  • Cotton seeks friendlies for town hall

    Is Tom Cotton working to pack his town hall Wednesday in Springdale with fans. So says one source.
    • Feb 21, 2017
  • Campus gun bill clears committee

    The so-called compromise amendment that will allow anyone 25 or older with a training certificate carry a concealed weapon on public college campuses was approved in a Senate committee this afternoon.
    • Feb 21, 2017
  • DiPippa to be interim dean at UALR Law School

    UALR Chancellor Andrew Rogerson told staff today that law professor John DiPippa would serve as interim dean of the Bowen School of Law while a search is made for a permanent dean. The appointment takes effect in July. The search should begin in the fall.
    • Feb 21, 2017
  • More »

Readers also liked…

  • The Arkansas Medicaid scandal: the state is purging the rolls of tens of thousands of eligible beneficiaries

    Tens of thousands of Arkansans have been kicked off of Medicaid for failure to respond to an income verification letter. Many of them are eligible for the program according to the very data that triggered the letter in the first place.
    • Aug 6, 2015
  • Lawyers plead for mercy in Fort Smith forum shopping case

    Twelve of the lawyers facing punishment by federal Judge P.K. Holmes in Fort Smith for moving a class action case against an insurance company out of his court to a state court where it was speedily settled have filed their argument against sanctions.
    • Jun 16, 2016
  • Matt Campbell files ethics complaint against Dennis Milligan

    Little Rock attorney and blogger Matt Campbell, whose knack for deep research brought down Mark Darr, Mike Maggio and Dexter Suggs, now has his sights trained on another worthy target. Today, he filed a 113-page ethics complaint against state Treasurer Dennis Milligan that includes 14 separate allegations.
    • Aug 20, 2015

Most Shared

Visit Arkansas

"Locally Labeled" passport expands to accommodate booming brew scene

"Locally Labeled" passport expands to accommodate booming brew scene

As if great beer weren't reward enough, you can earn prizes for sampling local craft beverages

Most Viewed

  • Cotton seeks friendlies for town hall

    Is Tom Cotton working to pack his town hall Wednesday in Springdale with fans. So says one source.
  • Campus gun bill clears committee

    The so-called compromise amendment that will allow anyone 25 or older with a training certificate carry a concealed weapon on public college campuses was approved in a Senate committee this afternoon.

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation