Thursday, March 31, 2016

Mike Maggio appeals conviction and sentence in bribery case

Posted By on Thu, Mar 31, 2016 at 3:44 PM

click to enlarge APPEALS RULING: Former judge Mike Maggio at the federal courthouse last week. - BRIAN CHILSON
  • BRIAN CHILSON
  • APPEALS RULING: Former judge Mike Maggio at the federal courthouse last week.

Former Conway Circuit Judge Mike Maggio has filed an appeal to the federal Eighth Circuit following his sentencing last week to ten years in federal prison, the maximum allowed under law.

The appeal, which was filed yesterday, comes as no surprise. Maggio's lawyer, James Hensley, told reporters after the sentencing last Thursday that his client planned to appeal.

U.S. District Judge Brian Miller departed from federal guidelines in giving Maggio the 120-month sentence, citing the gravity of the former state judge's crimes and the damage he'd done to public faith in the judicial system. In early 2015, Maggio pleaded guilty to accepting a bribe in a case before his court in 2013 in which he took campaign contributions in return for granting a favorable ruling to a wealthy donor. However, in early 2016, Maggio attempted to walk back the guilty plea and challenged whether the federal bribery statute in question actually applied in his case. Judge Miller said that it did and denied his request to withdraw the guilty plea.

Maggio requested leave to file his appeal in forma pauperis, meaning he lacks the funds to pursue the costs of the suit. Judge Miller granted that motion today, court documents show.

Tags: , , ,

Favorite

Speaking of...

Comments (5)

Showing 1-5 of 5

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-5 of 5

Add a comment

More by Benjamin Hardy

Readers also liked…

  • In defense of Planned Parenthood and abortion rights

    An op-ed in today's New York Time by Katha Pollitt says what I've been struggling to say about the reaction to the attack on women's reproductive rights launched by means of the undercover videos made by anti-abortion activists.
    • Aug 5, 2015
  • AHTD asks Metroplan to lift six-lane freeway cap

    The board of directors of Metroplan has informed the state highway department that it cannot act on the highway department's June 17 request to lift its six-lane freeway cap at the board's June 29 meeting. Consideration of the request should take four months, Jacksonville Mayor Gary Fletcher wrote June 22 to highway department Director Scott Bennett.
    • Jun 23, 2016
  • Matt Campbell files ethics complaint against Dennis Milligan

    Little Rock attorney and blogger Matt Campbell, whose knack for deep research brought down Mark Darr, Mike Maggio and Dexter Suggs, now has his sights trained on another worthy target. Today, he filed a 113-page ethics complaint against state Treasurer Dennis Milligan that includes 14 separate allegations.
    • Aug 20, 2015

Most Shared

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

  • Re: Midweek open line

    • "Lock 'em up!" "GOP's Planned Cuts to Medicaid Will Impoverish and Imperil Millions of Aging…

    • on March 22, 2017
  • Re: Midweek open line

    • "Lock 'em up!" "Republicans Just Made It Easier For Employers To Hide Workplace Injuries. They…

    • on March 22, 2017
  • Re: Midweek open line

    • Apparently Drumpf (don't) Care simply will not result in the deaths of enough Americans to…

    • on March 22, 2017

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation