Child care is another story 

Child care is another story

Severe cuts are coming July 1 in the program that pays for child care for low-income families. The details are now under consideration, according to the Division of Child Care and Early Childhood Education of the state Department of Human Services. DCCECE confirmed that some recipients of child-care assistance were dropped from the rolls in March, but it said those had been reinstated and no one would be dropped before July 1.

The child-care program is wholly funded by the federal government. A source provided the Arkansas Times a copy of a March 7 memorandum from Ivory Daniels, head of the child-care voucher program, discussing cuts in the federal funds. The memo to DCCECE staff said, “Please inform staff, providers, and clients that due to the lack of funding, their child care assistance has been temporarily suspended. … Authorizations are to be suspended and only re-opened if any new funding becomes available.”

Julie Munsell, a spokesman for DHS, said the memo was not intended for publication and was meant only as a discussion of contingencies. “We're trying to come up with a plan starting July 1 on how the program can sustain itself,” Munsell said. “We'll obviously have to change some eligibility requirements [so that fewer people will receive assistance].”

In January 2007, DHS loosened the eligibility requirements, allowing families with a somewhat higher income to qualify for child-care assistance. By September, DHS saw that more families had been added than the funding would support. At that time, it stopped adding families, regardless of income.

The source who gave the Daniels memo to the Times said in an anonymous letter that the cuts made in March had fallen most heavily on African-American families and providers. Munsell said she'd seen the letter, but there was no other indication that African-Americans had been disproportionately affected by DCCECE actions.



Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

More by Arkansas Times Staff

Readers also liked…

  • Kanis development decried

    Fletcher Hollow wrong place for density, neighbors tell LR planners.
    • Oct 8, 2015
  • Eligible voters removed from rolls

    Arkansas Times reporters contacted election officials around the state to see how they had handled flawed felon data from the secretary of state. Responses varied dramatically.
    • Aug 11, 2016
  • Real Republicans don't do pre-K

    Also, drifting away from trump, Hudson's downfall at ASU and more.
    • Aug 11, 2016

Most Shared

  • Hutchinson administration resists accountability in child rape case

    After a nightmarish revelation about serial rapes by a state-approved foster parent, the Hutchinson administration, from the governor on down, resist talking about how it happened.
  • Little Rock police kill man downtown

    Little Rock police responding to a disturbance call near Eighth and Sherman Streets about 12:40 a.m. killed a man with a long gun, Police Chief Kenton Buckner said in an early morning meeting with reporters.
  • From the mind of Sol LeWitt: Crystal Bridges 'Loopy Doopy': A correction

    Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art is installing Sol Lewitt's 70-foot eye-crosser "Wall Drawing 880: Loopy Doopy," waves of complementary orange and green, on the outside of the Twentieth Century Gallery bridge. You can glimpse painters working on it from Eleven, the museum's restaurant, museum spokeswoman Beth Bobbitt said
  • Ted Suhl loses another bid for new trial; faces stiff sentencing recommendation

    Ted Suhl, the former operator of residential and out-patient mental health services, has lost a second bid to get a new trial on his conviction for paying bribes to influence state Human Services Department policies. Set for sentencing Thursday, Suhl faces a government request for a sentence up to almost 20 years. He argues for no more than 33 months.
  • Football and foster kids

    It took a football stadium to lay bare Republican budget hypocrisy in Arkansas.

Latest in Arkansas Reporter

  • Trump country

    Even in deep red Arkansas, Trump could damage some down-ballot Republicans — but will boost others.
    • Oct 27, 2016
  • Youth movement

    Irvin Camacho, 24, hopes to be the first Latino elected to the Arkansas legislature.
    • Oct 20, 2016
  • Democrats' last stand in NE Arkansas

    Nate Looney vs. Rep. Brandt Smith for District 58.
    • Sep 29, 2016
  • More »

Visit Arkansas

Jodi Morris's lifelong ties to the National Park Service

Jodi Morris's lifelong ties to the National Park Service

"History is always happening" at Little Rock Central High School National Historic Site

Event Calendar

« »


2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31  

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments


© 2016 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation