Haskett update 

Haskett update

More information on the case of Nigel Haskett, the former McDonald's employee who wrestled away a man beating a woman in the restaurant where Haskett worked and who was then shot by the assailant. Haskett's claim for workers compensation benefits was denied by McDonald's. The case has attracted national attention since the Times first reported on it last month.

Ray Nosler, owner/operator of the McDonald's at 10201 Rodney Parham Road where the incident occurred, has issued a written statement through an advertising agency: “Nigel's case will be presented to a Worker's Compensation judge, who will review all of the facts and decide on the case's merits. McDonald's supports Nigel's claim, and fully anticipates the judge in this process will find in Nigel's favor. As a safeguard, if for some reason his claim is denied, and other insurance options are unavailable, I intend to cover the cost of his medical expenses.” Nosler's statement left unanswered questions the Times has tried unsuccessfully to present to McDonald's, whose spokesman has declined comment. Specifically, if McDonald's supports Nigel's claim, why is McDonald's resisting the claim at the WCC? McDonald's Little Rock insurance carrier, Ramsey, Krug, Farrell and Lensing, told the commission the claim had been denied, “as it is our opinion that Mr. Haskett's injuries did not arise out of or within the course and scope of his employment.”

Since the Times article appeared, a McDonald's lawyer, Carol Worley of Little Rock, has written the WCC asking that the Haskett complaint be assigned to an administrative law judge so that a hearing could be set. Normally, it's the lawyers for claimants who ask for hearings to be set. But Chief Administrative Law Judge David Greenbaum, to whom the case has been assigned, said in a letter dated Feb. 26 that while Haskett had requested a hearing, Haskett's lawyer, Philip M. Wilson of Little Rock, had not. Greenbaum said he was inclined not to schedule a hearing if the claimant was not ready to present his case, and he asked Wilson to advise whether Haskett was requesting a hearing. Wilson had not replied when the Times went to press.  


Cox's compensation

A February 26 article about Jerry Cox, executive director of the Arkansas Family Council, a Religious Right group, said that Cox declined to reveal his salary. The Council's latest filing with the Internal Revenue Service shows Cox with an annual salary of $89,333 and benefits of $15,791, for a total of $105,241. The Family Council's annual budget is around $550,000.



Showing 1-1 of 1

Add a comment

Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-1 of 1

Add a comment

More by Arkansas Times Staff

Most Shared

  • Hutchinson administration resists accountability in child rape case

    After a nightmarish revelation about serial rapes by a state-approved foster parent, the Hutchinson administration, from the governor on down, resist talking about how it happened.
  • Little Rock police kill man downtown

    Little Rock police responding to a disturbance call near Eighth and Sherman Streets about 12:40 a.m. killed a man with a long gun, Police Chief Kenton Buckner said in an early morning meeting with reporters.
  • From the mind of Sol LeWitt: Crystal Bridges 'Loopy Doopy': A correction

    Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art is installing Sol Lewitt's 70-foot eye-crosser "Wall Drawing 880: Loopy Doopy," waves of complementary orange and green, on the outside of the Twentieth Century Gallery bridge. You can glimpse painters working on it from Eleven, the museum's restaurant, museum spokeswoman Beth Bobbitt said
  • Ted Suhl loses another bid for new trial; faces stiff sentencing recommendation

    Ted Suhl, the former operator of residential and out-patient mental health services, has lost a second bid to get a new trial on his conviction for paying bribes to influence state Human Services Department policies. Set for sentencing Thursday, Suhl faces a government request for a sentence up to almost 20 years. He argues for no more than 33 months.
  • Football and foster kids

    It took a football stadium to lay bare Republican budget hypocrisy in Arkansas.

Latest in The Insider

  • All in the family

    Old habits die hard. We may have a new Republican majority in the legislature, but like the old Democratic majority, it still doesn't hurt to have a lawmaker spouse to land a part-time job during the legislative session.
    • Jan 30, 2013
  • 'Circuit breaker' legal

    When we first asked Gov. Mike Beebe about the "circuit breaker" idea out of Arizona (automatically opting out of Medicaid expansion if the feds reduce the matching rates in the future), he said it was fine but noted that states can already opt out at any time, an assurance he got in writing from the feds.
    • Jan 30, 2013
  • Church goes to school in Conway

    An interesting controversy is brewing in Conway Public Schools, periodically a scene of discord as more liberal constituents object to the heavy dose of religion that powerful local churches have tried to inject into the schools, particularly in sex education short on science and long on abstinence.
    • Jan 23, 2013
  • More »

Visit Arkansas

Jodi Morris's lifelong ties to the National Park Service

Jodi Morris's lifelong ties to the National Park Service

"History is always happening" at Little Rock Central High School National Historic Site

Event Calendar

« »


2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31  

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments


© 2016 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation