Chuck Haralson and Ken Smith were inducted into the Arkansas Tourism Hall of Fame during the 43rd annual Governor’s Conference on Tourism
For animal lovers who want something different from lions and tigers: Oh, my, there's the Little Rock Zoo's new Arkansas Heritage Farm, which opened Saturday, April 2, with a "Pass on the Gift" donation of baby goats from Heifer International. The farm, which replaces the old petting zoo, includes a big red barn and outdoor yards where child-sized animals — Pygmy goats, Katahdin sheep, Blackberry sheep, heritage chickens, turkeys, miniature donkeys and miniature horses — will hang out. You won't find out what the fox says, but Heifer is working with the zoo to develop educational materials. The international development nonprofit also contributed a chicken tractor, which is a movable coop that will let the zoo spread chicken manure around parts of the farm. The farm was funded by the 3/8-cent city sales tax passed in 2011, donations from private individuals, and the state Department of Parks and Tourism. Sponsors include Hiland Dairy, the Central Arkansas Planning and Development District and the Arkansas Zoological Association. Arkansas Times photographer Brian Chilson was on the scene Saturday to capture the scene.
1. Kristen Crawley (left) and Kayla Elrod with Heifer International hold baby goats Heifer is donating to the Heritage Farm exhibit.
2. Lily the goat provides a bit of shade to her friend Eclipse, a miniature horse.
3. Anjeleah Martindale, 5, tries to pet the nose on a billygoat.
4. Mayor Mark Stodola tries to get the donkeys to shake his hand.
5. A brown goat tries to give Evan Poroshine, 15 months old, a kiss.
6. Katahdin sheep munch hay in their yard in front of the new Heritage Farm.
7. The interior of the new Heritage Farm barn, funded by the 3/8-cent sales tax passed in 2011, private donations and a grant from the state Department of Parks and Tourism.
8. She's a good old silkie, at the Arkansas Heritage Farm.
Since I started with my online business, I earn $25 every 15 minutes. It sounds…
@Elizabeth -- Not quite. The extension of the debt will allow the district to immediately…
Fantastic work-from-home opportunity for everyone... Work for three to five hrs a day and start…