According to the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette, George Stobaugh told that newspaper last week that incoming Secretary of State Sharon Priest had agreed to keep him on the secretary of state’s payroll in exchange for campaign contributions, but that Priest reneged on the deal. A week earlier, Stobaugh told the Arkansas Times that there’d never been an agreement between him and Priest that he would keep his job.
Which George Stobaugh is to be believed?
Priest says it’s the one who said there was no agreement. She didn’t know why Stobaugh changed his story, but said she’d heard that outgoing Secretary of State Bill McCuen, whom Priest defeated, was behind the accusation made by Stobaugh, who is McCuen’s employee.
The truthfulness of Bill Phillips, a lobbyist for Blue Cross and Blue Shield, has been called into question also. When the Arkansas Times talked with Stobaugh, he suggested that a reporter talk with Phillips. Stobaugh said that Phillips and others had raised money for Priest and contributed it to her campaign in Stobaugh’s name, even though there was no commitment from Priest to retain Stobaugh. Phillips told the Times that he raised money for Priest, but had asked nothing from her in return.
Priest says that Phillips didn’t ask for or receive a promise that she’d keep Stobaugh on, but when contributions from Phillips and others totaling about $5,000 were delivered to her this month by Stobaugh, she began to suspect that a message came with it. She said she returned $1,300 in cash that was offered by Stobaugh and his wife, both because the amount exceeded the maximum legal cash contribution and because she’d already decided that she wouldn’t retain Stobaugh. Members of her transition staff had interviewed Stobaugh and recommended that he not be retained, she said.
Stobaugh then said the remainder of the contributions should be returned also, because they’d been made on his behalf, Priest said, but she replied that the other contributors would have to ask her for their money back themselves. A little later, a list of secretary of state’s employees who would not be retained by Priest was published in the Democrat-Gazette, and Stobaugh’s name was on it. Phillips then called and asked for the return of his $500 contribution, Priest said. He said he’d given the money to help a friend, and if it wasn’t going to do that, he could use it for his family, Priest said. She insisted that Phillips previously had placed no restrictions on his contributing to and raising money for her campaign. Phillips didn’t tell the Times that he’d asked for his money back.
None of the other contributors to the $5,000 has asked for his or her money back, Priest said, but she said a $250 contribution from former state Rep. Bruce Hawkins of Morrilton would be returned anyway. The Democrat-Gazette quoted Hawkins as saying that he contributed to Priest’s campaign on behalf of Stobaugh. Priest said that if that was Hawkins’ understanding, he should have his money back. “I don’t accept money under those conditions.”
Priest says that Phillips called during the campaign and asked for an appointment. She met him in his office. They discussed the campaign and campaign finances in general terms, she said. She said she didn’t hear from Phillips again until after Stobaugh delivered the $5,000 on Dec. 9.
Priest defended her meeting with Phillips, saying it occurred near the end of the campaign, a time when potential contributors are selecting the candidate they think will win, and that she made no promises. Priest said that if a situation like this arose in the future — something that might appear to be the offer of a bribe — she would report it to the appropriate law enforcement authorities.
That bomb you heard going off around noon at the Lafayette Building at Louisiana and Sixth Street was dropped by the Little Rock Downtown Partnership, in the form of a proposed design overlay district for Main Street and its neighbors. /more/
Not long after UALR Chancellor Joel Anderson announced his idea for a location for the Little Rock Technology Park, two more ideas for a location surfaced — one envisioning development far beyond just a tech park. /more/
A round of applause this morning for former Mayor Jim Dailey and Sharon Priest, director of the Downtown Little Rock Partnership, who told the Democrat-Gazette that they didn't believe development of a vacant building at 10th and Main for a vets' clinic would deter Main Street redevelopment efforts. /more/
Bob Scoggin, 50, the Department of Arkansas Heritage archeologist whose job it was to review the work of agencies, including DAH and the Arkansas Highway and Transportation Department, for possible impacts on historic properties, resigned from the agency on Monday. Multiple sources say Scoggin, whom they describe as an "exemplary" employee who the week before had completed an archeological project on DAH property, was told he would be fired if he did not resign.
Jones was "Minority Outreach Coordinator" for Hutchinson's 2014 gubernatorial campaign. The governor first named him as policy director before placing him over the labor department instead in Jan. 2015, soon after taking office.
A former inmate who claims she was sexually assaulted over 70 times by former McPherson Womens' Unit chaplain Kenneth Dewitt has filed a federal lawsuit against Dewitt, several staff members at the prison, and officials with the Arkansas Department of Corrections, including former director Ray Hobbs.
Sen. Jason Rapert (R-Conway) was on "Capitol View" on KARK, Channel 4, this morning, and among other things that will likely inspire you to yell at your computer screen, he said he expects someone in the legislature to file a bill to do ... something about changing the name of the Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport.