The U.S. attorney -- UPDATE II | Arkansas Blog

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The U.S. attorney -- UPDATE II

Posted By on Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 12:05 PM

I should have mentioned earlier that the Stephens Media story on the document dump concerning the U.S. attorney replacements contained a strong statement from U.S. Rep. John Boozman, the reigning Republican in Arkansas. It sounds like Boozman has no intention of playing along with the now-revealed White House strategy to pretend like a real nomination would be forthcoming for the Little Rock slot, while actually intending for Tim Griffin to "run out the clock" for the remainder of Bush's term under an interim appointment.

Meanwhile, Rep. John Boozman, R-Rogers, said his office is developing a list of three candidates to recommend to the president as possible replacements for Griffin.

Boozman, the state's only Republican in Congress, said the next U.S. attorney would go through the confirmation process in a transparent manner.

He criticized the use of the Patriot Act to install prosecutors.

"Using the situation that was designed for emergency use, I think that's very inappropriate," said Boozman, adding that critics of the firings should understand that U.S. attorneys serve at the will of the president.

Nominees, anyone? Here's one idea: Betty Dickey, the former Pine Bluff prosecutor who's served by appointment to the Arkansas Supreme Court. We inquired. No word yet from the Boozman office on potential suggestions. Time's a-wastin'. Dickey, by the way, ran against Sen. Mark Pryor, the hero of U.S. atttorneygate, and someone recalled that Tim Griffin worked for a time for her campaign. Maybe she'd face a confirmation problem, too.

UPDATE: TPM sharply illustrates the lie told by the Justice Department earlier about the Tim Griffin appointment.

UPDATE II: CNN interviews Bud Cummins. I hear that CNN has also interviewed Tim Griffin who apparently has admitted, for the first time, that he indeed helped compile some voter lists in Florida in 2004. All legal, of course. And he's proud of the work. But previously, he's said everything written about caging was bunk. Now there are lists. How were they compiled. Whose names were included. What neighborhoods did they come from? How were they used? Or what was the plan for their use? Has Griffin checked with those said to have lost voting privileges as a result of the effort and whether that seemed to have happened properly? A can of worms. It would be nice to open it in sworn testimony before Congress.


Favorite

Comments (17)

Showing 1-17 of 17

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-17 of 17

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

  • Clarke Tucker challenges French HIll to series of debates

    Clarke Tucker, the Democratic candidate for 2nd District Congress, has called on Republican incumbent Rep. French Hill to reconsider his refusal to participate in a televised debate in September and to join him for a series of three debates.
    • Aug 15, 2018
  • Abduction suspect arrested during threatened jump from bridge

    Danny Trent Barrows, 38, wanted for abducting his child earlier in the week, was arrested Wednesday as he attempted to jump off an Interstate 49 bridge near Mountainburg.
    • Aug 15, 2018
  • Wage campaign reports financial backer

    Arkansans for a Fair Wage, the committee backing an increase in the state minimum wage, reported this month a $350,000 contribution from the Sixteen Thirty Fund, a Washington-based nonprofit that has funded advocacy campaigns for social and environmental causes around the country.
    • Aug 15, 2018
  • More »

Readers also liked…

  • Women's March planned in Arkansas to mark Trump inauguration

    Speaking of Donald Trump and in answer to a reader's question: There will be a women's march in Arkansas on Jan. 21, the day after inauguration, as well as the national march planned in Washington.
    • Dec 30, 2016
  • Trump immigration protest at LR: Quick and fierce

    It was not even 24 hours ago that Sophia Said, director of the Interfaith Center; City Director Kathy Webb and others decided to organize a protest today of Donald Trump's executive order that has left people from Muslim countries languishing in airports or unable to come to the US at all — people with visas, green cards,a  post-doc graduate student en route to Harvard, Google employees abroad, families. I got the message today before noon; others didn't find out until it was going on. But however folks found out, they turned out in huge numbers, more than thousand men, women and children, on the grounds of the state Capitol to listen to speakers from all faiths and many countries.
    • Jan 29, 2017
  • Your daily dose of Jason Rapert

    Sen. Jason Rapert really, really didn't like it when a KATV reporter asked him about the hypocrisy of his political arguments.
    • Feb 4, 2017

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Slideshows

 

© 2018 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation