Ballot blues | Arkansas Blog

Monday, September 17, 2007

Ballot blues

Posted By on Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 2:51 PM

County Clerk Pat O'Brien has sent a statement on the  absentee voting we alluded to earlier.

Turns out that Ron Treat, a candidate for North Little Rock School Board, brought a bundle of 58 requests for absentee ballots to the clerk's office. That's permissible. But all asked that the ballots be sent to the same address, a ministry on MacArthur Drive. The law limits to two the number of absentee ballots that may be sent to the same address. The clerk's office sent all 58 to the same address.

"My office is responsible for not acting earlier on this and I will take corrective measures," O'Brien said. His full statement on the issue is here.

The ballot applications all contained the names of registered voters and properly completed addresses,O'Brien explained,  but all requested that the ballots be returned to the ministry, not the voter's home.

By mid-afternoon Monday, 17 of the ballots had been returned. It will be a potential Election Commission decision, if a question is raised, on counting these ballots, O'Brien said.

Treat, who is opposing incumbent Marty Moore for the Zone 4 seat, said he complied with applicable laws on helping voters obtain absentee ballots. He said the ballots were returned to the one addreess so that he could be sure they'd reach voters, most of them elderly, who otherwise probably wouldn't get out to vote. "We would never do anything unethical," he said. He said voters completed the ballots without influence before they were mailed and he said he knew of one family where he was confident the votes went against him. "We don't think we've done anything wrong," Treat said.


Favorite

Comments (5)

Showing 1-5 of 5

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-5 of 5

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

  • Targeting teachers

    The Hutchinson administration has riled the teachers union in the Little Rock School District.
    • Aug 16, 2018
  • Clarke Tucker challenges French HIll to series of debates

    Clarke Tucker, the Democratic candidate for 2nd District Congress, has called on Republican incumbent Rep. French Hill to reconsider his refusal to participate in a televised debate in September and to join him for a series of three debates.
    • Aug 15, 2018
  • Abduction suspect arrested during threatened jump from bridge

    Danny Trent Barrows, 38, wanted for abducting his child earlier in the week, was arrested Wednesday as he attempted to jump off an Interstate 49 bridge near Mountainburg.
    • Aug 15, 2018
  • More »

Readers also liked…

  • Trump immigration protest at LR: Quick and fierce

    It was not even 24 hours ago that Sophia Said, director of the Interfaith Center; City Director Kathy Webb and others decided to organize a protest today of Donald Trump's executive order that has left people from Muslim countries languishing in airports or unable to come to the US at all — people with visas, green cards,a  post-doc graduate student en route to Harvard, Google employees abroad, families. I got the message today before noon; others didn't find out until it was going on. But however folks found out, they turned out in huge numbers, more than thousand men, women and children, on the grounds of the state Capitol to listen to speakers from all faiths and many countries.
    • Jan 29, 2017
  • Arkansas legislature rejects bipartisan effort to study race relations

    On Friday, the Arkansas Legislative Council soundly rejected a bipartisan effort by two senators to to create a temporary legislative subcommittee to study race relations in the state.
    • Sep 15, 2017
  • Your daily dose of Jason Rapert

    Sen. Jason Rapert really, really didn't like it when a KATV reporter asked him about the hypocrisy of his political arguments.
    • Feb 4, 2017

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Slideshows

 

© 2018 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation