Behind the scenes | Arkansas Blog

Friday, August 29, 2008

Behind the scenes

Posted By on Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 4:54 PM

Last night, the governor's office issued a response to comments made on the Arkansas Blog taking Gov. Beebe to task for the lack of public accountability in the state agency in charge of taking care of abused children, which will not release information about four kids who've died in foster care over the summer.

"The Governor has ordered a top-to-bottom review of DCFS procedures and personnel, leading to changes in leadership in the division as well as a redeployment of existing division resources to support field operations. For more information on the structural changes already underway at DCFS, call John Selig."

Today, Times reporter Patrick Michels did call Selig, director of the state Department of Human Services, and learned two things:

The top-to-bottom review started in April, prior to the deaths. “I’m not sure there’s been anything in particular that led to [the reforms]. It’s been an issue in this state and others for years,” Selig said, while allowing that the foster child deaths “certainly heighten the tension.”

And Selig has hired two new assistant directors for the Division of Children and Family Services: John Zalenski, a former fellow at the Jim Casey Youth Opportunities Initiative, and former state Rep. Lisa Ferrell. They join DCFS Sept. 8.

Selig said he's also formed a task force, made up of the agency's "strongest managers." 

All that reviewing and tasking and reorganizing and scrutiny since April -- and still four children dead and a 2-year-old in Children's Hospital after being turned away by DHS social workers who thought his bruises weren't bad enough to take him immediately into custody.

 


Sign up for the Daily Update email
Favorite

Comments (10)

Showing 1-10 of 10

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-10 of 10

Add a comment

More by Leslie Newell Peacock

  • UAMS restarts cardiac surgery program

    The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, which had to suspend its cardiac surgical care in May when its heart surgeon, Dr. Gareth Tobler, retired before a new hire had been made, has resumed its program.
    • Jul 13, 2018
  • A new design for 30 Crossing: No, not narrower.

    The Arkansas Department of Transportation has made a few changes to the 30 Crossing project that will widen the seven-mile Interstate 30 corridor through North Little Rock and Little Rock, the most significant for downtown Little Rock being the creation of a four-lane Second Street from Mahlon Martin Drive east of I-30 to Cumberland Street west of I-30. The new street would serve as relief from traffic to and from the interstate, to be concentrated at Fourth Street.
    • Jul 12, 2018
  • Arts Center director off to North Carolina

    Todd Herman, the executive director of the Arkansas Arts Center, is leaving the institution for a job at The Mint Museum in Charlotte, N.C.
    • Jul 12, 2018
  • More »

Readers also liked…

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Slideshows

 

© 2018 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation