UCA suspends classes UPDATE | Arkansas Blog

Monday, October 27, 2008

UCA suspends classes UPDATE

Posted By on Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 9:40 AM

There'll be no classes at the University of Central Arkansas in Conway today as the campus copes with a Sunday night shooting outside a dormitory that left two students dead. A non-student suffered a minor wound.

The university's initial release is on the jump. Coverage in the Log Cabin Democrat mentions that new campus surveillance cameras might have captured the shootings.

Officials discussed the shooting at a news conference this morning. Idenitities provided at the news conference were the same as those contributed by readers last night on our late-night thread on the shooting.

unknown.jpg

NEWS CONFERENCE UPDATE: The dead students were identified this morning as Chavares Block, 19, a sophomore pre-engingeering major from Dermott. (above) and Ryan Henderson, 18, a Little Rock freshman (below) Martrevis Norman of Blytheville suffered a leg wound that did not require hospitalization.

unknown.jpg

Two male suspects are in custody. The first was taken into custody off-campus in a traffic stop. The second turned himself in. Police are searchng for two more male suspects and believe they know where they can be found. None is a UCA student, but all were said to be in the same age range as the victims. UPDATE: A third suspect was reported in custody by mid-afternoon. But, by 5 p.m., no names or charges had been announced.

No insight as to motive was offered.

Police aren't ready to say who fired the fatal shots or how many. The four were in a car that drove onto campus and then left after the shooting. It was uncertain if shots were fired from the car or after a shooter or shooters got out of the car.

Acting UCA President Tom Courtway called the event a "senseless" act and assured parents, staff and students that the campus was safe. Conway police and State Police are assisting UCA police in the investigation.

Preston Grumbles, a UCA investigator, predicted an update later this morning. He said the shooting did not appear to be a random act. He said there was no indication of gang activity. Campus rumor mill suggests that the shooting grew out of a confrontation earlier in the weekend, but it's unclear if either or both of the victims were targeted or were bystanders. Internet searches for the two victims turn up little, except a listing of Henderson among those achieving top grades during the spring semester.

Officials praised students for staying calm, providing first aid to those shot and assisting with crowd control.

-- Report from Gerard Matthews

UPDATE:

UCA announced that it is providing counseling on campus for students, faculty and staff. Also, a candlelight memorial will be held at 5 p.m. today at the UCA fountain by the Student Government Association. A prayer vigil will take place at 1:40 p.m. Tuesday at Ida Waldran Auditorium on behalf of all religious organizations on campus.

UCA STATEMENT

CONWAY, ARK. -- In an effort to provide the most comprehensive, reliable and up-to-date information about the shooting incident that occurred during the evening of Sunday, Oct. 26, 2008, on the campus of the University of Central Arkansas, UCA will release as much information as possible on its homepage at www.uca.edu.

The UCA Police Department received a call at 9:19 p.m. reporting shots fired.  At the same time, a UCA police officer heard the shots and responded immediately.

The first two UCAPD officers were on the scene of the shooting at 9:19 p.m.  The incident occurred outdoors between Arkansas Hall and the Snow Fine Arts Center.

The first MEMS ambulance arrived on scene at 9:28 p.m., and the first Conway Fire Department vehicle was on scene at 9:30 p.m.

One victim, a UCA student, was pronounced dead at the scene.  Two other injured victims were transported to Conway Regional Medical Center.  One of those victims, also a UCA student, died at the hospital.  The other victim, who was not a UCA student, was treated and eventually released from the hospital.

The names of the victims will not be released until their relatives are notified.

UCA residence halls and the UCA Student Center were immediately locked down after the incident was reported.  However, the UCA campus itself is not locked down, although officers are posted at every campus entrance, and access to campus is limited to residents and authorized personnel.

All 25 UCAPD officers were immediately dispatched.  The UCAPD's automated alert system was initiated, and every residence hall was contacted by telephone to instruct officials to secure the facilities and restrict access to the buildings.  E-mails were sent to UCA student, faculty and staff e-mail systems, as well as the Safe@UCA e-mail
listserv.  A notification also was posted on the UCA homepage at www.uca.edu, as well as the UCAPD website at www.ucapd.com.

The UCAPD is conducting a joint investigation with the Conway Police Department and the Faulkner County Sheriff's Office. A person of interest has been detained, although that person is not under arrest at this time.


Sign up for the Daily Update email
Favorite

Comments (50)

Showing 1-50 of 50

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-50 of 50

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

  • Where's the outrage?

    Am I the only person, apart from federal prosecutors, outraged about the criminal enterprise that inveigled itself into a privileged position as an Arkansas taxpayer-financed human services provider to the tune, today, of $43 million a year?
    • Jun 21, 2018
  • Where's the outrage?

    • Jun 21, 2018
  • Rutledge opponent hits her socializing with corporate interests

    Mike Lee, the Democratic candidate for attorney general, has criticized Attorney General Leslie Rutledge over recent reports of her participation at private meetings where corporate interests make big contributions to a political group she heads for access to state legal officers.
    • Jun 21, 2018
  • More »

Readers also liked…

  • Trump immigration protest at LR: Quick and fierce

    It was not even 24 hours ago that Sophia Said, director of the Interfaith Center; City Director Kathy Webb and others decided to organize a protest today of Donald Trump's executive order that has left people from Muslim countries languishing in airports or unable to come to the US at all — people with visas, green cards,a  post-doc graduate student en route to Harvard, Google employees abroad, families. I got the message today before noon; others didn't find out until it was going on. But however folks found out, they turned out in huge numbers, more than thousand men, women and children, on the grounds of the state Capitol to listen to speakers from all faiths and many countries.
    • Jan 29, 2017
  • LR Police Chief Buckner in running for Charleston, S.C. job

    KATV reports that Little Rock Police Chief Kenton Buckner is one of five finalists for the job of police chief in Charleston, S.C., and will be visit Charleston next week as part of the process.
    • Feb 2, 2018
  • Campus gun bill clears committee

    The so-called compromise amendment that will allow anyone 25 or older with a training certificate carry a concealed weapon on public college campuses was approved in a Senate committee this afternoon.
    • Feb 21, 2017

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Slideshows

 

© 2018 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation