Compound tragedy | Arkansas Blog

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Compound tragedy

Posted By on Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 1:29 PM

I'd heard yesterday that the driver of a car believed at fault in a fatal crash that has prompted current cell phone legislation had shot himself. It's now being reported that the young man died today from the wound.

Michael Blanchard 27, was charged last week with negligent homicide in the crash that killed Paul Davidson, 41, of Jonesboro. Blanchard was reportedly text messaging at the time of the crash. Rep. Ray Kidd has introduced legislation to ban text messaging and use of anything but hands-free cell phones while driving. He introduced "Paul's Bill" at the request of Davidson's daughter Hillary. Kidd told me yesterday, when I asked him if he'd heard about Blanchard:

I am sorry for the pain being suffered by his friends and family. If true, it points to yet another awful result of one deadly decision -- one fatal mistake -- to text while driving. I hate the latest news, but it will have no effect on my bill other than to make me work harder for its passage.

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments (14)

Showing 1-14 of 14

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-14 of 14

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

  • ASU announces $29 million athletic project backed by private booster foundation

    The Arkansas State University Board of Trustees today approved a ground lease with the Red Wolves Foundation which will take the responsibility for building $29. million worth of improvements to the football stadium.
    • Nov 20, 2017
  • Monday's open line

    Here's the Monday open line and today's news roundup
    • Nov 20, 2017
  • Protest set on tax legislation

    A coalition of groups will demonstrate at 12:15 p.m. Tuesday in front of the state Human Services headquarters at Seventh and Main to show displeasure with the Senate tax legislation.
    • Nov 20, 2017
  • More »

Readers also liked…

  • Civil War over in Fort Smith; lawyer strikes his Rebel mascot battle tent

    KSFM reports that Joey McCutchen, the lawyer who's been trying to restart the Civil War in Fort Smith over the School Board's decision to drop the Rebel mascot and related trappingsfor Southside High School, is dropping his School Board takeover campaign.
    • May 27, 2016
  • Little Rock school activists announce events for 60th anniversary of Central High crisis

    The group is not affiliated with the official "Reflections of Progress" commemoration of the 60th anniversary. However, at least two of the Little Rock Nine may be joining the group for an event at 2:30 p.m. at the state Capitol in the Old Supreme Court Chamber.
    • Sep 14, 2017
  • The long and winding road: No exception yet for 30 Crossing

    The Arkansas highway department's representative on the Metroplan board of directors told the board today that the department is requesting an exception to the planning agency's cap on six lanes for its 30 Crossing project to widen Interstate 30 from six to 10 (and more) lanes.
    • Jun 29, 2016

Most Shared

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation