Pressly killing suspect pleads innocent | Arkansas Blog

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Pressly killing suspect pleads innocent

Posted By on Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 3:00 PM

click to enlarge unknown.jpg
Curtis Vance, the Marianna man accused of fatally beating KATV anchor Anne Pressly, pleaded innocent today in Circuit Court. He told reporters additionally, as he left court, that he didn't do the crime. His family was at the arraignment, shouting words of encouragement afterward. "I love you," said one relative.

Channel 11 says Judge Chris Piazza lifted a gag order in the case, though police investigative files will remain closed to the public, as is customary while a case pends.

Fox 16 has some great video up. I think it's showing on most browsers at the top now. Vance takes a number of questions from reporters, calmly claiming his innocence and saying police have the wrong man. He said the last couple of months have been "hell."

Asked his reaction to seeing Pressly's parents in court:

"They need to find the real person."  And later, "I'm sorry for their loss, but I didn't do it." He said police had illegally obtained DNA evidence from him.

UPDATE: Fox 16 asked for the jail records sealed by an earlier district court order, now lifted.

From fox16.com

Upon release of the gag order, FOX 16 News obtained a copy of Vance’s jail intake records from the Pulaski County Sheriff’s Department under a Freedom of Information Act request.  It includes a list of all visitors Vance would accept at the jail, along with an order from LRPD to take Vance out of the jail on December 10 for four hours for further questioning downtown.  According to jail records, it is the only time Vance had been out of jail since his arrest until his court hearing Thursday.

Vance intake records also indicate he bears a tattoo that reads, “only God can judge me.”


Sign up for the Daily Update email
Favorite

Comments (9)

Showing 1-9 of 9

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-9 of 9

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

  • LR charter school application withdrawn for this year

    Friendship Aspire Academy has withdrawn its request to move up plans to open a charter school in Little Rock by a year to take advantage of a vacant building being remodeled by the Walton Family Foundation for another charter operator that withdrew.
    • Jun 20, 2018
  • Another prison death under investigation

    John Howell, 58, who was serving a life sentence for capital murder in Garland County, died shortly before 7 p.m. Tuesday after being found unresponsive on the floor of his barracks at the Cummins Unit, a spokesman said.
    • Jun 20, 2018
  • With Trump, of course, there's a catch

    So the heroic Donald Trump proposes a compromise to tearing families apart - jailing them indefinitely.
    • Jun 20, 2018
  • More »

Readers also liked…

Most Recent Comments

Slideshows

 

© 2018 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation