Proctor loses criminal cases in court plan | Arkansas Blog

Thursday, June 18, 2009

Proctor loses criminal cases in court plan

Posted By on Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Pulaski's circuit judges met today (14 of the 17 were on hand) to approve a case assignment plan for 2010, as required by Supreme Court rules.

As we reported earlier, the plan, presented by Chief Judge Vann Smith, includes the end of assignment of criminal cases to Circuit Judge Willard Proctor's court division. It provides that the division will handle only civil cases. A state judicial discipline panel has recommended Proctor's removal from the bench for numerous irregularities in his handling of criminal probation, particularly directing huge sums of money to a nonprofit organization he founded and controlled. This plan will govern case assignments whether Proctor is still on the bench next year or not.

Proctor proposed a plan by which his division would keep some criminal cases, about 300 a year.

The vote on the Smith proposal -- which also included some other changes on case assignment in other court divisions -- was approved 13-1, with only Proctor voting against it.

A question was raised about what will happen to Proctor employees, such as probation officers, who work on criminal cases next year. "I don't know what happens," Smith said.

Judges Jay Moody, Marion Humphrey and Collins Kilgore weren't present for the vote. Afteward, a motion for immediate adoption of the assignment plan was made (not approved as I said originally) and will be voted on next week. If approved,  it will require Supreme Court approval and Proctor raised questions about whether circumstances met those set out for amendments of existing annual  assignment plans.

-- Reporting by David Koon


Favorite

Comments (13)

Showing 1-13 of 13

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-13 of 13

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

  • Ad man Heathcott sues CJRW for damages in ouster

    Gary Heathcott the long-time ad and PR man who now lives in San Antonio has sued CJRW, the major ad and PR firm, over its severing of a consulting deal with him last year and asks $1.3 million in actual damages plus unspecified punitive damages.
    • Dec 18, 2018
  • Court dismisses ethics complaints against Kavanaugh

    The 10th Circuit Court of Appeals has dismissed numerous judicial ethics complaints against Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh because the law exempts Supreme Court members, even for acts committed as a judge covered by the law. In short: Bart O'Kavanaugh is above the law.
    • Dec 18, 2018
  • In face of blowback, state will slow down assisted living cuts

    Brett Rains of 40/29 is tweeting from the Capitol that the Department of Human Services is slowing its push for cuts in reimbursements for home health aides that critics have said could force many people into more expensive nursing home and force companies that provide the services out of business.
    • Dec 18, 2018
  • More »

Readers also liked…

  • Police identify two women found fatally shot on Chicot Road

    Little Rock police have identified two women found dead of gunshot wounds in an SUV parked next to a vacant trailer in a mobile home park at 11500 Chicot Road.
    • May 16, 2017
  • Trump tariffs hit farmers hard

    Well, the trade war has begun and the early returns for farmers are not good — sharp reductions in the prices for soybeans and corn. You may have heard that Arkansas, which overwhelmingly supported Donald Trump, has some agricultural interests, particularly in soybeans.
    • Jul 6, 2018
  • Today in Trump: Obstruction of justice anyone?

    It's the New York Times with the news today. Fired FBI Director James Comey kept notes of his talks with Donald Trump. A memo he wrote in February after a meeting with Trump said the president asked him to shut down the investigation into Michael Flynn, his former national security adviser.
    • May 16, 2017

Slideshows

  • Arkansas vs Ole Miss at War Memorial stadium in Little Rock, Saturday, Oct. 13, 2018. After leading for much of the game, Arkansas lost 37-33 when Ole Miss scored the game winning Touchdown with less that 2 minutes left. 
  • Margaret Clark Adventure Park
    New sculptures, preschoolers play area dedicated in Riverfront Park in Little Rock.

Most Recent Comments

 

© 2018 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation