Judge Proctor wins a round UPDATED | Arkansas Blog

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Judge Proctor wins a round UPDATED

Posted By on Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 8:35 AM

 Pulaski County circuit judges today failed to approve a proposal to immediately change the plan for assigning cases among the 17 judges to strip further assignment of criminal cases to Judge Willard Proctor.

Proctor faces removal from the bench in a disciplinary proceeding for unethical practices in his probation program, which he created to provide a revenue stream for a nonprofit organization he founded. Improper relationships with probationers are part of the case against him, along with numerous financial issues. The  judges have already approved a case assignment plan for next year (subject to Supreme Court approval) that strips Proctor of new criminal cases. But, on account of his disciplinary troubles, Circuit Judge Herb Wright had proposed that the judges ask the Supreme Court for immediate implementation of next year's plan.

Proctor easily prevailed in today's vote.  Only Judges Barry Sims, Tim Fox, Herb Wright, Mackie Pierce and Dick Moore voted for the motion, which required nine votes of the 17 circuit judges to pass. Since the "yeas" fell short, there was no call for "nay" votes among those present, but Chief Judge Vann Smith read four "nay" votes that had been sent before the meeting by e-mail.

Defending the motion,Wright said he did not see restructuring Proctor's case load as a punishment.  He also said that one probationer who was transferred from his court to Proctor's was being made to appear before the judge even though his probation had expired, "outside of what I would consider lawful authority," Wright said.  Proctor said this was the first he had heard about the situation. It's this very practice that is among those that has Proctor in hot water.

Several judges indicated that the change in assignments should not be made while Proctor's disciplinary case is pending and before the case assignment plan for next year had been approved by the Supreme Court. Judge Wiley Branton said he was "concerned about the precedent we would be setting here," and that this was a "dangerous road for us to embark upon."

-- Gerard Matthews

Some thoughts on this case that were posted earlier today, before the meeting:

Two things: 1) Since the disciplinary case is still pending, it's probably premature for immediate action on case assignments absent a reason other than the preliminary recommendation by an advisory panel that Proctor should be removed from the bench.  2) In his argument against that action, however, Proctor demonstrated another reason why he's unsuitable for the bench. In a prepared argument, Proctor touted his court's work and noted that it has generated more than $2 million for the county in excess of operating costs.

Courts aren't established to be revenue engines (at least in theory, a theory sorely tested by district courts). They are established to dispense justice. Proctor has created a bloated empire with his probation fee generation scheme, which is just one of the reasons it needs to be dismantled. The county has been unwilling  to rein him in because of the addictive easy money. It's just wrong. Whatever else should be considered in allowing Proctor to continue to hear criminal cases, his revenue production should not be one of them.

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments

Showing 1-1 of 1

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-1 of 1

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Readers also liked…

  • Al Gore remembers Dale Bumpers

    Former Vice President Al Gore, a former U.S. Senate colleague of Dale Bumpers, sent a statement on Bumpers' death Friday:
    • Jan 3, 2016
  • Trump immigration protest at LR: Quick and fierce

    It was not even 24 hours ago that Sophia Said, director of the Interfaith Center; City Director Kathy Webb and others decided to organize a protest today of Donald Trump's executive order that has left people from Muslim countries languishing in airports or unable to come to the US at all — people with visas, green cards,a  post-doc graduate student en route to Harvard, Google employees abroad, families. I got the message today before noon; others didn't find out until it was going on. But however folks found out, they turned out in huge numbers, more than thousand men, women and children, on the grounds of the state Capitol to listen to speakers from all faiths and many countries.
    • Jan 29, 2017
  • In Little Rock, Marco Rubio sells American exceptionalism

    This is Rubio's axiomatic answer to Donald Trump's insistence that he and he alone will Make America Great Again: America is the greatest, always has been.
    • Feb 22, 2016

Most Viewed

  • Arkansas-linked Charlottesville marcher identified, apologizes to those misidentified

    A man who says he's a former University of Arkansas student now living in New England has identified himself as the person wearing an "Arkansas Engineering" T-shirt in the Friday white supremacist march in Fayetteville. He apologized for involving UA in the story and to the professor misidentified as being the person wearing the shirt.
  • Hot Springs threatens closure of Arlington Hotel unless repairs made

    The Hot Springs Sentinel-Record reports that the city of Hot Springs has notified owners of the Arlington Hotel that it must make repairs to address safety concerns by Nov. 8 or the historic hotel must close.
  • The Civil War, contd. Statues a diversionary move

    Donald Trump clearly believes that he can fight and win a political war over his sympathy for white supremacists making it about statutes of Robert E. Lee and preservation of history (as if books don't exist.)
  • Solutions to violence in Little Rock

    KARK/Fox 16 continues its focus on crime in Little Rock and solutions, including a national Ceasefire program that is the model for some new crime-fighting ideas announced recently by Mayor Mark Stodola.

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation