Swine flu update | Arkansas Blog

Monday, August 3, 2009

Swine flu update

Posted By on Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 9:06 AM

The state says it has lab confirmation of 150 cases of H1N1 influenza A in 38 counties -- no deaths. The state will cease counting cases, but that doesn't mean the spread of the illness is over. Some cases haven't been reported because effects have been milder than feared. Health officials still expect more to occur when school begins.

NEWS RELEASE

As of Wednesday, July 29, the Arkansas Department of Health (ADH) reported 150 lab-confirmed cases of novel H1N1 influenza A (Swine Flu) in Arkansas in residents from 38 of the state's 75 counties.  There have been no deaths due to H1N1 influenza A in Arkansas.
 
The counties and number of confirmed cases are:
Arkansas-2; Ashley-2; Benton-12; Boone-1; Bradley-4; Calhoun-1; Chicot-1; Cleburne-1; Cleveland-2; Columbia-1; Conway-1; Craighead-8; Cross-1; Dallas-1; Drew-1; Faulkner-16; Garland-1; Grant-1; Hempstead-1; Hot Spring-3; Howard-1; Independence-1; Jefferson-6; Lawrence-1; Lonoke-2; Marion-1; Mississippi-1; Nevada-1; Poinsett-1; Polk-1; Pope-2; Pulaski-39; Saline-3; Sebastian-9; St. Francis-3; Union-4; Washington-10; White-3.
 
Illness due to novel H1N1 influenza virus is milder than what scientists feared at first but the disease is still spreading and officials are certain that Arkansas has more influenza in the state than what is being reported. Dr. James Phillips, director of the Infectious Disease Branch at ADH said, “From previous experience we know that this is only the tip of the iceberg and the number of infected individuals is significantly greater.  When school starts again, we expect to see an increase in cases.”  The CDC notes that there are probably a million plus unreported cases in the United States.
 
Following similar action announced recently by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization, ADH will discontinue reporting novel H1N1 flu cases in the state on its web site, www.healthyarkansas.com. The CDC announced that as of July 24 it would no longer provide individual confirmed and
 
-more-
probable cases of novel H1N1 influenza.

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments (2)

Showing 1-2 of 2

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-2 of 2

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Readers also liked…

  • Judge anticipates punishment of lawyers in Fort Smith class action case

    Federal Judge P.K. Holmes of Fort Smith issued a 32-page ruling yesterday indicating he contemplates punishment of 16 lawyers who moved a class action lawsuit against an insurance company out of his court to a state court in Polk County after a settlement had been worked out.
    • Apr 15, 2016
  • Payday lenders on the march at legislature

    Payday lenders are working hard to get legislative cover for the reintroduction of their usurious loan business to Arkansas. Some are fighting back.
    • Mar 10, 2017
  • LR speakers blast state board for double standard

    A series of speakers, beginning with Sen. Joyce Elliott, denounced what they saw as a hidden agenda favoring charter schools at the state Department of Education and asked the state Board of Education for return of local control.
    • May 12, 2016

Most Shared

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation