Courthouse news | Arkansas Blog

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Courthouse news

Posted By on Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 3:08 PM

Pulaski Circuit Judge Mary Ann McGowan asked today to take over the docket of removed Judge Willard Proctor. She notified Judge Vann Smith, the administrative judge for the district, in a letter. She would keep the drug cases assigned to the Ninth Division, as well as five probation officers assigned to her by the state. Fifth Division, over which Proctor presided, would take on McGowan's civil, criminal and probation cases.

Judges Ellen Brantley, Joyce Warren and Smith have more seniority than McGowan, but Smith is not interested and he doesn't expect Brantley or Warren will be either. Collins Kilgore and Chris Piazza, of equal seniority to McGowan, aren't thought to be interested either.

Whoever takes over Proctor's court will need to go through the files of all the 1,200 to 1,300 probationers, Smith said, to determine their status; Smith said some whose cases were dismissed and expunged are still apparently designated as probationers.

I wasn't able to verify word I got today that two of Proctor's probationers who were being held in the Pulaski County jail only because they hadn't paid fees to his Cycle Breakers program were released today.

The Supreme Court removed Proctor from the bench Monday for violations of the judicial code of ethics related to his operation of the Cycle Breakers program and relationships with defendants in his court.

Also, Ernest Sanders, a Parole Board administrative law judge who made an unsuccessful race for Little Rock district judge last year, said today he is mulling over running for Proctor's seat. Rita Bailey, Wrightsville district judge, has announced her intention to run.


Sign up for the Daily Update email
Favorite

Comments (3)

Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

More by Leslie Newell Peacock

  • UAMS restarts cardiac surgery program

    The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, which had to suspend its cardiac surgical care in May when its heart surgeon, Dr. Gareth Tobler, retired before a new hire had been made, has resumed its program.
    • Jul 13, 2018
  • A new design for 30 Crossing: No, not narrower.

    The Arkansas Department of Transportation has made a few changes to the 30 Crossing project that will widen the seven-mile Interstate 30 corridor through North Little Rock and Little Rock, the most significant for downtown Little Rock being the creation of a four-lane Second Street from Mahlon Martin Drive east of I-30 to Cumberland Street west of I-30. The new street would serve as relief from traffic to and from the interstate, to be concentrated at Fourth Street.
    • Jul 12, 2018
  • Arts Center director off to North Carolina

    Todd Herman, the executive director of the Arkansas Arts Center, is leaving the institution for a job at The Mint Museum in Charlotte, N.C.
    • Jul 12, 2018
  • More »

Readers also liked…

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Slideshows

 

© 2018 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation