Beebe responds on Conway action | Arkansas Blog

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Beebe responds on Conway action

Posted By on Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 2:02 PM

Gov. Mike Beebe spoke to reporters at length today about the surprise Justice Department action yesterday to enjoin further admissions of young people to the Conway Human Development Center, which cares for more than 500 people with severe retardation. The following account is from his spokesman, Matt DeCample:

The governor believes the underlying dispute is one of philosophy. In general, the Department of Justice wants to move disabled people from large facilities to homes or community-based services. The governor agrees that home or community care is the ideal option. However, he says there are many cases where it's not possible. Many families believe the institutional setting is the best option. It's a last resort, but a service that needs to be there, Beebe believes.

On allegations of excessive use of restraints and improper medication: The governor believes that there are standards of care and the state works to make sure that everything is done by the book. If it is found that someone is not following proper procedures, whoever is responsible will be fired, he said. (If Justice is correct, and Arkansas has become a holdout on use of restraints, you do have to wonder who defines "proper".)

Bottom line: DOJ wants these mass institutions to become relics of the past. The state of Arkansas doesn't.

The state said it was caught by surprise by the legal action yesterday because the Justice Department had only recently asked for a continuance in a scheduled court hearing.

My core problem remains this: Has the state investigated cases cited by Justice on deaths and improper care? What were the findings (specifics, not just a state finding of 'no foul')? If rules were broken, were there consequences for employees? Nobody will tell me. That's confidential in the state's view. I will never have any degree of confidence in the state's care of the least among us (not just in Conway but in any branch of the giant Human Services Department) until it will talk in detail about cases where abuse has been alleged and where children have died. This can be done without violating patient privacy. Until officials do, their protestations of good faith inspire little trust.

UPDATE: DHS has also responded. It faults the Justice Department's tactics and findings, defends its care and says the state has increased the number of people receiving community-based care. Again, there is no offer to detail specifics in cases of allegations of improper or negligent treatment.

DHS STATEMENT FROM JULIE MUNSELL

We were very surprised by the tactics of yesterday’s filing by the DOJ as we were scheduled to go to trial later this year to address all the issues raised by the Department of Justice (DOJ). We were following a schedule previously agreed to by the Department of Justice to complete all reports by April 25, 2010.  Despite our honoring of that agreement the DOJ now unfairly seeks to deny us the agreed upon opportunity to complete our experts’ reviews.  Our experts, who have not been allowed a full opportunity to complete their work as agreed to by the DOJ, have already communicated to us that they are finding many misrepresentations and very flawed conclusions by the DOJ’s consultants.  It is disappointing that the DOJ would not honor its agreement as to the schedule and would seek an unfair advantage in this dispute. 
 
The state has worked in good faith for the last seven years to resolve the DOJ’s concerns including bringing the resources of the state’s teaching hospital, UAMS, to ensure the highest quality of care for the state’s most medically fragile children.  In addition, The Conway Human Development Center is in substantial compliance with all state and federal standards of care regulated by the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities (CARF) and the Office of Long Term care.  CHDC is in compliance with the extensive federal requirements of ICF/MR regulations. While safety and care remain a top priority, we will continue to encourage that children be placed in the most integrated and least restrictive setting. Despite the preference of many parents and guardians for CHDC, there has been an increase of families around the State who access home and community based waiver services.  As affirmed by the United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit in 2005, the Division of Developmental Disabilities has discharge rules that require an annual review by an interdisciplinary team of medical professionals who determine if an individual can be appropriately served in their community. 
 
All levels of treatment must be accessible so that families can obtain the type of service they need when they need it. The Department will continue to employ a family centered approach that gives families a choice and a voice in the care of those they love.

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments (20)

Showing 1-20 of 20

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-20 of 20

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Readers also liked…

  • Kenneth Starr: A comment from Betsey Wright

    Betsey Wright, former President Bill Clinton's chief of staff when he was Arkansas governor, responds bitterly to a New York Times article today quoting Whitewater Prosecutor Kenneth Starr's warm words about Clinton. She can't forget the lives Starr ruined in Arkansas.
    • May 24, 2016
  • Civil War over in Fort Smith; lawyer strikes his Rebel mascot battle tent

    KSFM reports that Joey McCutchen, the lawyer who's been trying to restart the Civil War in Fort Smith over the School Board's decision to drop the Rebel mascot and related trappingsfor Southside High School, is dropping his School Board takeover campaign.
    • May 27, 2016
  • The long and winding road: No exception yet for 30 Crossing

    The Arkansas highway department's representative on the Metroplan board of directors told the board today that the department is requesting an exception to the planning agency's cap on six lanes for its 30 Crossing project to widen Interstate 30 from six to 10 (and more) lanes.
    • Jun 29, 2016

Most Shared

  • Take yourself there: Mavis Staples coming to LR for Central High performance

    Gospel and R&B singer and civil rights activist Mavis Staples, who has been inspiring fans with gospel-inflected freedom songs like "I'll Take You There" and "March Up Freedom's Highway" and the poignant "Oh What a Feeling" will come to Little Rock for the commemoration of the 60th anniversary of the desegregation of Central High.
  • Klan's president

    Everything that Donald Trump does — make that everything that he says — is calculated to thrill his lustiest disciples. But he is discovering that what was brilliant for a politician is a miscalculation for a president, because it deepens the chasm between him and most Americans.
  • On Charlottesville

    Watching the Charlottesville spectacle from halfway across the country, I confess that my first instinct was to raillery. Vanilla ISIS, somebody called this mob of would-be Nazis. A parade of love-deprived nerds marching bravely out of their parents' basements carrying tiki torches from Home Depot.

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation