Mann jury seated | Arkansas Blog

Monday, July 12, 2010

Mann jury seated

Posted By on Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 4:05 PM

A report from David Koon from the federal courthouse:


A jury has been seated and opening statements have wrapped up in the federal trial of the Dr. Randeep Mann and his wife, Sangeeta "Sue" Mann. Mann is charged with the use of a weapon of mass destruction in the Feb. 4, 2009, explosion at the West Memphis home of Dr. Trent Pierce, chairman of the Arkansas State Medical Board. Pierce lost one eye and was injured in the face, leg and arm when he went to move a booby-trapped spare tire that had been placed in front of his Lexus. Mann's wife is charged with aiding in tampering with evidence, lying to a federal grand jury, and conspiracy to obstruct proceedings.

In their opening statement, U.S. attorneys said that there is no forensic evidence or eyewitnesses to link Randeep Mann to the bombing. However, they cited Mann's collection of over 200 machine guns, grenade launchers and sub machine guns as proof that he was "obsessed with firearms" who was "intent on harming someone." Mann also had manuals in his home discussing the use of MK3A2 hand grenades, the type used in the Pierce bombing.

Prosecutors said Mann had motive to harm Pierce because the medical board had revoked Mann’s medical license. They did so after a Mann violated an earlier revocation of his DEA license to dispense scheduled drugs.

When Mann was questioned about the bombing at his home in London, Ark., on Feb. 5, prosecutors said, he told investigators "I know why you're here," and later showed them his gun collection. Later, a county worker found a buried ammo box 875 feet from Mann's home containing grenades (though not MK3A2 grenades). The container they were hidden in, prosecutors said, was identical to one found at Mann's house.

The defense also pointed out the lack of physical and eyewitness evidence tying Mann to the bombing. Mann, they said, was a firearms collector who has held a federal license since 1990 that allows him to purchase machine guns. Calling his guns a "good investment," they noted that Mann's collection — containing firearms from 13 countries — was at one time insured for over $1 million dollars. They said that since moving to Pope County, Mann and his family have been the constant target of "crazy" and "scandalous" rumors, which led to him being called before the medical board. Though Mann did admit that he'd over-prescribed some medications, leading to the loss of his license to prescribe controlled substances in 2006, defense attorneys said the medical board had unanimously agreed to schedule a June 2009 hearing that could have restored Mann's right to prescribe painkillers and other narcotics.

The case is being heard in District Judge Brian Miller's court. Little Rock lawyer Jack Lassiter is representing Mann.

Tags: , , , ,


Sign up for the Daily Update email
Favorite

Comments (12)

Showing 1-12 of 12

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-12 of 12

Add a comment

More by Leslie Newell Peacock

  • UAMS restarts cardiac surgery program

    The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, which had to suspend its cardiac surgical care in May when its heart surgeon, Dr. Gareth Tobler, retired before a new hire had been made, has resumed its program.
    • Jul 13, 2018
  • A new design for 30 Crossing: No, not narrower.

    The Arkansas Department of Transportation has made a few changes to the 30 Crossing project that will widen the seven-mile Interstate 30 corridor through North Little Rock and Little Rock, the most significant for downtown Little Rock being the creation of a four-lane Second Street from Mahlon Martin Drive east of I-30 to Cumberland Street west of I-30. The new street would serve as relief from traffic to and from the interstate, to be concentrated at Fourth Street.
    • Jul 12, 2018
  • Arts Center director off to North Carolina

    Todd Herman, the executive director of the Arkansas Arts Center, is leaving the institution for a job at The Mint Museum in Charlotte, N.C.
    • Jul 12, 2018
  • More »

Readers also liked…

  • Former Arkansas Attorney General Dustin McDaniel applauds Trump's EPA choice of climate change denier Scott Pruitt

    Dustin McDaniel gives the thumbs up to a man set to dismantle EPA regulations.
    • Dec 8, 2016
  • Women's March planned in Arkansas to mark Trump inauguration

    Speaking of Donald Trump and in answer to a reader's question: There will be a women's march in Arkansas on Jan. 21, the day after inauguration, as well as the national march planned in Washington.
    • Dec 30, 2016
  • Trump immigration protest at LR: Quick and fierce

    It was not even 24 hours ago that Sophia Said, director of the Interfaith Center; City Director Kathy Webb and others decided to organize a protest today of Donald Trump's executive order that has left people from Muslim countries languishing in airports or unable to come to the US at all — people with visas, green cards,a  post-doc graduate student en route to Harvard, Google employees abroad, families. I got the message today before noon; others didn't find out until it was going on. But however folks found out, they turned out in huge numbers, more than thousand men, women and children, on the grounds of the state Capitol to listen to speakers from all faiths and many countries.
    • Jan 29, 2017

Most Recent Comments

Slideshows

 

© 2018 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation