Barnes withdraws from U.S. attorney consideration | Arkansas Blog

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Barnes withdraws from U.S. attorney consideration

Posted By on Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 2:40 PM

You've read my carping about the slow pace of judicial and U.S. attorney appointments by the Obama administration.

Fallout today.

Michael Barnes, a partner at Wright Lindsey and Jennings who was widely presumed to be the pick for U.S. attorney for the Eastern District of Arkansas in Little Rock, released a brief statement today saying he would no longer be seeking the position.


"It was an honor to be considered but I have decided to withdraw my name from consideration," he said. "This process has taken a very long time, but it is now time for me to get back to my law practice and the great firm of Wright Lindsey and Jennings. I’m certain an outstanding person will ultimately be selected to fill this very important position."

Emphasis on ultimately. Already, it seems likely the U.S. attorneys chosen in Arkansas will begin work with less than two years remaining on President Obama's first (maybe only) term.

Barnes, 47, a partner at the Wright firm since 1993 and son of federal Judge Harry Barnes of Camden, wouldn't comment further. But not having even been nominated yet by the president, a candidate for this job is looking at months before completion of the confirmation process, presuming he or she doesn't present a problem to one Republican or another who might place a hold on a nomination or stir up a filibuster.

Chris Thyer and Edward O. Walker also were recommended for the post by Arkansas's senators, but my sources said Barnes was the top pick and had been through required Justice Department interviews. His name was sent forward last October and still no action. Why so slow? There's been no movement on a U.S. attorney for the western district, either, or for a couple of federal judgeships in Arkansas. Arkansas seems behind the curve on U.S. attorney confirmations, according to this website that monitors U.S. attorney appointments (not a Justice Department website as I originally wrote).

I asked if the senators had comments. A spokesman for Pryor said, "No. We feel the same way you do."

Tags: , ,

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments (9)

Showing 1-9 of 9

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-9 of 9

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Readers also liked…

  • Judge Griffen: Why black lives matter

    Another few words from Judge Wendell Griffen growing from the controversy over the sale of Black Lives Matter T-shirts at the state black history museum — removed by the administration and restored after protests from Griffen and others stirred by a story in the Arkansas Times:
    • Mar 13, 2016
  • Sabin's subterfuge in the race for mayor has roots in rigged city government

    The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reports that an ethics complaint has been filed saying that the exploratory committee Rep. Warwick Sabin created to prepare for a run for Little Rock mayor was a subterfuge to avoid the city ordinance that doesn't allow campaign fundraising to begin until five months before the November 2018 election.Of course it is.
    • Aug 10, 2017
  • IHOP coming down, but .....

    I always scan the Little Rock City Board for items of interest this week and this one caught my eye: A zoning measure required by a proposal to tear down the IHOP at Markham and University.
    • Apr 30, 2016

Most Shared

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation