Game and Fish responds to Nelson suit | Arkansas Blog

Friday, September 3, 2010

Game and Fish responds to Nelson suit

Posted By on Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 3:29 PM

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission says it will vigorously defend against the lawsuit filed yesterday by Sheffield Nelson, a former commission chairman, over the commission's committee system. Nelson contends it unconstitutionally vests effective control of the agency in three members of the eight-member commission. From the news release:

Commission Chairman Craig Campbell expressed regret that a former commissioner would take such drastic action, and reaffirmed that all current commissioners are “unanimous in our dedication to the principles of integrity, accountability and transparency. We are unified in our belief that the AGFC’s long-established rules of procedure, which we recently amended for the proper conduct of Commission business, ensure that these principles are strictly and consistently applied.”

Campbell also said, “Mr. Nelson’s claims of illegal actions by Commissions dating back as far as 1979, which include actions Mr. Nelson himself presided over as a commissioner, and ultimately as Commission chairman, are mistaken and apparently based on misinformation. His lawsuit certainly is not in the best interest of this Commission, its employees or the citizens of Arkansas.”

The Commission has not been officially served with the complaint, although Commission attorneys are preparing a response to the complaint and will be vigorously defending the agency in court action.

Based on what's been written so far, I think I like the Commission's chances. But that's what courts are for.

Tags: , ,


Favorite

Comments

Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

  • One dead, two wounded in early morning shooting

    KARK's Susanne Brunner reports that one person has been killed and two wounded in a shooting shortly after 1 a.m. this morning near Roosevelt Road and Cross Street.
    • Apr 17, 2019
  • Reality bites at Little Rock City Hall; spending must be cut

    A followup to Rebekah Hall's earlier report on Little Rock Mayor Frank Scott Jr.'s announcement that cuts will be necessary in the city budget in part to pay for "priorities," such as his desire to expand the police force, but also to deal with the reality often mentioned here of stagnant to decling city sales tax revenue. Some quick ideas on that:
    • Apr 17, 2019
  • Speaking of hard times in newspapers: Democrat-Gazette's move to digital

    Word continues to filter in of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette's pullback from statewide circulation of a print daily edition of the newspaper — the latest from the Hot Springs area, just 50 or so miles down the road from Little Rock. Subscribers there were told home delivery of a print paper would end in May.
    • Apr 16, 2019
  • More »

Readers also liked…

Most Recent Comments

  • Re: Open line

    • Meanwhile, more lies. More religious bullshit to hurt people, foster ignorance, tribalism, authoritarianism and war…

    • on April 20, 2019
  • Re: Open line

    • "If they lie about God, they'll lie about anything." "You're so right, Daphne. Starting with…

    • on April 20, 2019
  • Re: State Police investigating death of Fort Smith man in custody

    • Darrell "Keith" Hayes was not a bad guy, he just had a bad habit. The…

    • on April 20, 2019
 

© 2019 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation