Why did Benton remove school superintendent? | Arkansas Blog

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Why did Benton remove school superintendent?

Posted By on Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 6:34 AM

The Benton School Board constructively fired superintendent Tony Prothro Monday. It suspended him with pay (a package worth $200,000) through the end of his contract in June 2012, but didn't say why.

Saline County happens to be a buzzing hive of Internet information outlets and one of them, Insidesaline.com, posted an interview with the ousted school leader. He says he doesn't know the reason for his suspension. But the website posted some background about past controversies. Yep. Football.

The source said that “a series of events” led to the board’s action, which apparently was not planned prior to Monday night’s board meeting.

Prothro and the administration came under fire last year over the handling of the football stadium issue. More recently, Prothro was criticized in various circles for his e-mail comments pertaining to an Arkansas Activities Association ruling that forced Benton High School to forfeit its three football victories in 2010 for using two ineligible players. He suggested that the administration considered keeping news of the infraction silent because “self-reporting” the incident “might also demoralize the team and foster negativism concerning our football team, coaches, and players.”

Over on mysaline.com, commenters are also linking the development to a local tussle on location of the football field.

Tags: , , ,

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments (14)

Showing 1-14 of 14

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-14 of 14

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Readers also liked…

  • Al Gore remembers Dale Bumpers

    Former Vice President Al Gore, a former U.S. Senate colleague of Dale Bumpers, sent a statement on Bumpers' death Friday:
    • Jan 3, 2016
  • Trump immigration protest at LR: Quick and fierce

    It was not even 24 hours ago that Sophia Said, director of the Interfaith Center; City Director Kathy Webb and others decided to organize a protest today of Donald Trump's executive order that has left people from Muslim countries languishing in airports or unable to come to the US at all — people with visas, green cards,a  post-doc graduate student en route to Harvard, Google employees abroad, families. I got the message today before noon; others didn't find out until it was going on. But however folks found out, they turned out in huge numbers, more than thousand men, women and children, on the grounds of the state Capitol to listen to speakers from all faiths and many countries.
    • Jan 29, 2017
  • In Little Rock, Marco Rubio sells American exceptionalism

    This is Rubio's axiomatic answer to Donald Trump's insistence that he and he alone will Make America Great Again: America is the greatest, always has been.
    • Feb 22, 2016

Most Shared

  • City ethics update; campaign limit was supposed to help the little guy

    Some more history on the Little Rock city ordinance that limits candidates for mayor and City Board to raising campaign funds to five months before the November 2018 election. It raises questions not only about Warwick Sabin's fund-raising tactics, but also Mayor Mark Stodola's carryover money.

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation