Nelson still going after Game and Fish UPDATE | Arkansas Blog

Monday, May 16, 2011

Nelson still going after Game and Fish UPDATE

Posted By on Mon, May 16, 2011 at 4:16 PM

SHEFFIELD NELSON
  • SHEFFIELD NELSON
Little Rock attorney Sheffield Nelson held a press conference this morning to announce the filing of an amended motion for summary judgment in his long-running dispute with the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission. The motion seeks a declaration from the Circuit Court of Pulaski County stating that the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act and the Arkansas Administrative Procedures Act are applicable to the AGFC. A copy of the motion can be found here, along with a brief in support of the motion. Nelson also notified the press that he sent a letter to Prosecuting Attorney Larry Jegley asking him to investigate the agency, citing $20,400 in unapproved expenditures for the help of a public relations firm. Nelson also said the agency had spent $800,000 based on insufficient or nonexistent contracts.

UPDATE: The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission responded to Nelson with this statement from Director Loren Hitchcock:

“Our agency has been working with the legislative audit staff for the past several months to correct deficiencies in our financial reporting system. We addressed these issues in our testimony last week with legislators who are members of Legislative Joint Auditing-State Agencies. Following our testimony, legislators accepted our report and no additional questions were raised. Our agency has put in place more stringent financial controls and practices, and we’ll continue to cooperate with legislative audit to make sure our compliance procedures are working properly. We are still in litigation and vigorously defending a lawsuit filed by Mr. Nelson, so we’re not going to comment further.”

Tags: , , , , ,

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments (6)

Showing 1-6 of 6

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-6 of 6

Add a comment

More by Gerard Matthews

Readers also liked…

  • Civil War over in Fort Smith; lawyer strikes his Rebel mascot battle tent

    KSFM reports that Joey McCutchen, the lawyer who's been trying to restart the Civil War in Fort Smith over the School Board's decision to drop the Rebel mascot and related trappingsfor Southside High School, is dropping his School Board takeover campaign.
    • May 27, 2016
  • Little Rock school activists announce events for 60th anniversary of Central High crisis

    The group is not affiliated with the official "Reflections of Progress" commemoration of the 60th anniversary. However, at least two of the Little Rock Nine may be joining the group for an event at 2:30 p.m. at the state Capitol in the Old Supreme Court Chamber.
    • Sep 14, 2017
  • The long and winding road: No exception yet for 30 Crossing

    The Arkansas highway department's representative on the Metroplan board of directors told the board today that the department is requesting an exception to the planning agency's cap on six lanes for its 30 Crossing project to widen Interstate 30 from six to 10 (and more) lanes.
    • Jun 29, 2016

Most Shared

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation