Walker wants state to rescind Pulaski takeover | Arkansas Blog

Monday, June 27, 2011

Walker wants state to rescind Pulaski takeover

Posted By on Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 4:01 PM

John Walker, attorney for black children in the Pulaski school desegregation case, has written a letter asking the state to rescind its takeover last week of the Pulaski County Special School District. Education Director Tom Kimbrell, after consultation with the governor, removed the superintendent and school board and put former superintendent Bobby Lester in charge on an interim basis.

Walker says the takeover "will further confuse an already confused circumstance."

The most obvious is that the state is a defendant in desegregation actions and now is conflicted in how it manages the district, particularly regards vows to meet early objectives of the desegregation settlement. Walker contends the state appears to side with board members negative to a 2000 desegregation plan the state had agreed to.

Walker asks if the state, now that it runs the district, will defend it against the lawsuit brought by Pulaski administrator June Elliott against ousted superintendent Hopson. She contended he'd managed in racially discriminatory fashion, among other criticisms. Walker suggests Kimbrell might allow Elliott to win to validate his judgment to remove Hopson. Who will pay if Elliott wins, Walker asks.

Walker cites, too, the continuation of Sam Jones as attorney for the district, including to oppose the state's effort to end desegregation funding. Who does he work for? "On the one hand he is suing the state, on the other hand he is suing the same state agency."

Walker said the action invites more litigation and leaves hundreds of school district contracts "in limbo." He said it prevents the parties from reaching a voluntary resolution of matters in dispute.

Walker is right about one thing. It's a mess. I've asked the state for a response.

PS — It's not part of the letter, but Walker thinks the state acted unfairly by taking over the schools on administrative order, rather than presenting the case first to the state Board of Education. The state took similar action the same day against the Helena-West Helena School District. An Education Department spokesman says state law clearly allows an administrative action such as Kimbrell took.

UPDATE: Other key parties punt. State Education Department defers to attorney general (who, according to Walker, had said Beebe and Kimbrell dealt this mess); attorney general says it got ethical guidance from a retired judge on some of the issues Walker raised, as if that answered ALL his questions. Which it didn't. More court to come.

Tags: , ,

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments (13)

Showing 1-13 of 13

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-13 of 13

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Readers also liked…

  • Judge Griffen: Why black lives matter

    Another few words from Judge Wendell Griffen growing from the controversy over the sale of Black Lives Matter T-shirts at the state black history museum — removed by the administration and restored after protests from Griffen and others stirred by a story in the Arkansas Times:
    • Mar 13, 2016
  • UPDATE: Hutchinson moves to cover himself on cut to War Memorial Stadium

    Gov. Asa Hutchinson apparently felt the burn from KARK's exclusive Tuesday night on his plans to cut state support of War Memorial Stadium in half beginning July 1, 2018. He has a so-far secret plan to make the stadium self-sustaining. We bet that doesn't include state support.
    • Oct 20, 2016
  • Judge anticipates punishment of lawyers in Fort Smith class action case

    Federal Judge P.K. Holmes of Fort Smith issued a 32-page ruling yesterday indicating he contemplates punishment of 16 lawyers who moved a class action lawsuit against an insurance company out of his court to a state court in Polk County after a settlement had been worked out.
    • Apr 15, 2016

Most Shared

Most Viewed

  • LR told D.C. before it told city residents it wasn't going after Amazon

    Little Rock told Amazon it wouldn't be applying as a site for a new headquarters in a full-page ad published in this morning's Washington Post. It kind of jokes that Amazon would just mess up this wonderful city.
  • The LR chamber does the public's business. Is it accountable? Blue Hog on the case.

    Matt Campbell, lawyer and Blue Hog Report blogger, has sent a Freedom of Information Act request to Jay Chessir, director of the Little Rock Regional Chamber of Commerce, and Mayor Mark Stodola related to the publicity stunt yesterday  built around withdrawing from the mayor's rash pronouncement that the city would seek an Amazon HQ2 project even though the city  didn't meet the company's criteria.

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation