Little Rock City Hall secrecy continues | Arkansas Blog

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Little Rock City Hall secrecy continues

Posted By on Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 6:57 AM

Mayor Mark Stodola's "transparent" city government remains opaque. Two days after an FOI for accumulated city data on ward redistricting, none has been provided. The custodian of the documents has not replied, as law requires, to my FOI request. Clearly, as an article in the Democrat-Gazette this morning indicates, select city directors have been informed of what new shape their districts will take. Note that Director Ken Richardson, who takes exception to city leadership from time to time, seems less certain about what shape his ward will take than Doris Wright and Lance Hines, leadership team players.

City Manager Bruce Moore has told me he had no materials related to my request except a document with new population data in existing wards. That's interesting. I asked Metroplan director Jim McKenzie for any work his agency had done for the city. His response:

We did some early analysis for LR relative to the census implications for redistricting. Unlike some of our members who asked us to handle developing redistricting alternatives for them, LR is handling that in house. We have given the City Manager all of the analysis we did for them and he would be the appropriate party to whom to address your request.

I have asked Bruce Moore for this analysis. I expect the same transparency and cooperation I've received to date — zero. The city sham continues. Do you trust them to be any more forthcoming about decisions on spending their new half-billion dollars? Or will all internal studies and reports and analysis be deemed in "active use" (secret) until the moment an issue is worked out and presented full-blown to the City Board as a done deal? Past is prologue. This isn't how the public's government should operate.

Tags: , , ,


Sign up for the Daily Update email
Favorite

Comments (2)

Showing 1-2 of 2

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-2 of 2

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Readers also liked…

  • Women's March planned in Arkansas to mark Trump inauguration

    Speaking of Donald Trump and in answer to a reader's question: There will be a women's march in Arkansas on Jan. 21, the day after inauguration, as well as the national march planned in Washington.
    • Dec 30, 2016
  • French Hill votes against disaster aid to Puerto Rico

    Republican U.S. Rep. French Hill alone among Arkansas's House delegation voted last week against a measure that provided $36.5 billion in disaster aid, a portion  for hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico as well as money for wildfire response and to support the flood insurance program.
    • Oct 14, 2017
  • Trump immigration protest at LR: Quick and fierce

    It was not even 24 hours ago that Sophia Said, director of the Interfaith Center; City Director Kathy Webb and others decided to organize a protest today of Donald Trump's executive order that has left people from Muslim countries languishing in airports or unable to come to the US at all — people with visas, green cards,a  post-doc graduate student en route to Harvard, Google employees abroad, families. I got the message today before noon; others didn't find out until it was going on. But however folks found out, they turned out in huge numbers, more than thousand men, women and children, on the grounds of the state Capitol to listen to speakers from all faiths and many countries.
    • Jan 29, 2017

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Slideshows

 

© 2018 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation