Ernestine Middleton fired at Arkansas Lottery | Arkansas Blog

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Ernestine Middleton fired at Arkansas Lottery

Posted By on Thu, Oct 6, 2011 at 9:23 AM

The last of the three top lottery officials who came from South Carolina to get the Arkansas Lottery off the ground has left the building.

Ernestine Middleton, who made about $226,000 a year as vice president for administration, left the agency's employment yesterday afternoon, I've been told reliably.

I've been unable to reach any lottery officials for official confirmation or to obtain copies of any documents reflecting the nature of the separation. A receptionist told me Middleton was not available. When I asked if she was still employed, the receptionist didn't provide an answer but referred my call to interim director Julie Baldridge. Baldridge has not yet returned phone or e-mail inquiries. I've also been unable to reach the Commission chairman, Dianne Lamberth.

Ernie Passailaigue, the former South Carolina lottery director, who was paid $326,000 as leader of the Arkansas lottery, resigned amid some criticism Oct. 3. The preceding Friday, David Barden resigned as vice president for gaming. Like Middleton, he came to Arkansas from South Carolina at $225,000.

UPDATE: Bishop Woosley, chief legal counsel for the lottery, confirms that Middleton left the agency yesterday afternoon. In response to a question, he said she had been terminated. He said he wouldn't discuss the reasons for the personnel decision. I have made a Freedom of Information Act request for her file, which is open to the public in the event of firings. But she must be notified and given an opportunity to object to disclosure.

I asked Woosley if he expected Middleton to sue over his firing. He was silent, he laughed briefly, then said, "No comment."

Tags: ,

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments (30)

Showing 1-30 of 30

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-30 of 30

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Readers also liked…

  • LR speakers blast state board for double standard

    A series of speakers, beginning with Sen. Joyce Elliott, denounced what they saw as a hidden agenda favoring charter schools at the state Department of Education and asked the state Board of Education for return of local control.
    • May 12, 2016
  • Kenneth Starr: A comment from Betsey Wright

    Betsey Wright, former President Bill Clinton's chief of staff when he was Arkansas governor, responds bitterly to a New York Times article today quoting Whitewater Prosecutor Kenneth Starr's warm words about Clinton. She can't forget the lives Starr ruined in Arkansas.
    • May 24, 2016
  • Civil War over in Fort Smith; lawyer strikes his Rebel mascot battle tent

    KSFM reports that Joey McCutchen, the lawyer who's been trying to restart the Civil War in Fort Smith over the School Board's decision to drop the Rebel mascot and related trappingsfor Southside High School, is dropping his School Board takeover campaign.
    • May 27, 2016

Most Shared

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation