West Memphis 3 allowed joint appearance | Arkansas Blog

Monday, October 10, 2011

West Memphis 3 allowed joint appearance

Posted By on Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 10:17 AM

TOGETHER: The West Memphis 3 will be in New York for film tonight.
  • Brian Chilson
  • TOGETHER: The West Memphis 3 will be in New York for film tonight.

Circuit Judge David Laser of Jonesboro last week amended his order releasing defendants in the West Memphis 3 case so that all three of them may appear together.

The change was needed for the three to be together tonight in New York for the debut of "Paradise Lost: Purgatory" at the New York Film Festival. It's the third in a series of documentaries about the case.

Under original terms of the plea agreement, which released them after guilty pleas to reduced charges for the 1994 slayings of three West Memphis children, Damien Echols and Jason Baldwin agreed not to associate with any other felons except each other. This allowed them to leave together that day. The third defendant, Jessie Misskelley, agreed not to associate with any felons except family members who might have a felony record. Though the men pleaded guilty in return for release, they were allowed to continue to assert their innocence under a rarely used legal procedure.

Prosecuting Attorney Scott Ellington issued a statement about the change:

Last week, at the request of defense counsel, Circuit Judge David Laser entered Orders with the Clay and Craighead County Circuit Clerks modifying the Conditions of Suspension for Jessie Misskelley Jr., Damien Echols and Jason Baldwin, otherwise known as the “West Memphis Three”. The modifications were to allow the three to attend the premiere of the HBO film Paradise Lost 3.

"The prior Conditions of Suspension prohibited the Echols and Baldwin from associating with felons with the exception of each other, and Misskelley was prohibited from associating with other felons with the exception of his immediate family,” 2nd Judicial District Prosecuting Attorney Scott Ellington of Jonesboro said.

“The original terms were requested almost as an afterthought by defense counsel during the original plea negotiations. Baldwin's attorney, Blake Hendrix, knew arrangements had been made for Baldwin and Echols to leave together with Eddie Vedder and go to Memphis, so we agreed on the initial change to the standard rules. That prompted Misskelley’s attorney, Jeff Rosenzwieg, to request a similar modification to the standard rules for his client because some members of Misskelley’s immediate family are convicted felons, “Ellington said.

Ellington continued, "I received a call from Blake Hendrix week before last requesting the recent change so all three could attend the premier of the HBO film. I spoke with Judge Laser and he approved a limited modification that allows the three to appear together at certain public events."

Tags: , , , ,


Favorite

Comments (5)

Showing 1-5 of 5

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-5 of 5

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

  • Jerry Dhonau, former Gazette editorial page editor, dies at 83

    Jerry Dhonau, a retired newspaperman whose career included reporting on the Little Rock school crisis and being editorial page editor of the Arkansas Gazette when it closed in 1991, has died. Ernest Dumas provides his colleague’s obituary.
    • Aug 18, 2018
  • DHS confirms it's withholding personnel records on Leslie Rutledge

    Chris Burks, the lawyer in a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit seeking personnel records of Attorney General Leslie Rutledge when she was a staff lawyer at the Department of Human Services, says DHS confirms the existence of records that have not been released in previous examinations of her record there.
    • Aug 18, 2018
  • Death reported in Malvern prison

    The Correction Department is reporting what it calls an apparent suicide Thursday evening in the Ouachita River Correction unit in Malvern.
    • Aug 18, 2018
  • More »

Readers also liked…

  • Trump immigration protest at LR: Quick and fierce

    It was not even 24 hours ago that Sophia Said, director of the Interfaith Center; City Director Kathy Webb and others decided to organize a protest today of Donald Trump's executive order that has left people from Muslim countries languishing in airports or unable to come to the US at all — people with visas, green cards,a  post-doc graduate student en route to Harvard, Google employees abroad, families. I got the message today before noon; others didn't find out until it was going on. But however folks found out, they turned out in huge numbers, more than thousand men, women and children, on the grounds of the state Capitol to listen to speakers from all faiths and many countries.
    • Jan 29, 2017
  • Trump's strangulation of Obamacare

    If he can't kill it outright, Donald Trump will do all he can to cripple Obamacare. Vox has detailed reporting on deep cuts in federal spending that support nonprofit agencies that help people sign up for coverage under the Affordable Care Act.
    • Sep 18, 2017
  • Tom Cotton's influence on Trump's new security chief

    U.S. Sen. Tom Cotton is getting credit for pushing President Donald Trump to select Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster as his national security adviser, Politico reports.
    • Feb 21, 2017

Most Recent Comments

  • Re: An open line

    • 1958 we had a group of student from Turkey and they were hostile to Any…

    • on August 18, 2018
  • Re: An open line

    • My roommate and fellow history student told me about the Turks he fought with in…

    • on August 18, 2018
  • Re: An open line

    • There weren't a whole of lot of Turkish fighters in the Korean War, but there…

    • on August 18, 2018

Slideshows

 

© 2018 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation