St. Vincent lays off 29 employees, leaves 21 more slots unfilled | Arkansas Blog

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

St. Vincent lays off 29 employees, leaves 21 more slots unfilled

Posted By on Tue, Nov 20, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Banko
  • Banko

Twenty-nine employees of St. Vincent Health System were laid off Thursday and Friday, CEO and President Peter Banko confirmed today. Another 21 left in November, though Banko attributed that to "normal attrition."

St. Vincent made the move as part of a plan to cut $12 million from its budget. Patient volume is higher so far in the fiscal year, Banko said, but not as high as anticipated. The layoffs saved the hospital $2.5 million; Banko said he hopes the remainder will come in savings from changes in clinical care, length of stay and from employee physicians, who are being evaluated for productivity and efficiency in their practices. Banko called the cuts precautionary. The hospital is half-way to its goal, and expects to complete the cuts by the end of the year.

None of the employees who were fired were involved in direct patient care, Banko said. St. Vincent has some 3,000 employees, who work the equivalent of 2,300 full-time jobs.

Banko also said it's essential for the health of hospitals that the Arkansas legislature agree to the Affordable Care Act's expansion of Medicaid. The hospital's Medicare reimbursements are declining, and nationally hospitals expect — in fact, believe they had a deal with the Obama administration — to have an expanded Medicaid patient base to offset Medicare cuts. Banko also said expanding Medicaid coverage would be good "from a fellow human standpoint. ... I don't think it should be political. It would be the right thing."

Banko acknowledged Republican opposition to the extension, "but at the end of the day it's putting your neighbors and folks that need access to care in jeopardy."

Can St. Vincent survive without entering into a joint operating agreement with the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, as the two institutions are considering? "I think both organizations can cut expenses to be able to weather some of the storm," Banko said.

However, he added, if a collaboration would cut costs "I think it will help both organizations. I don’t think it’s necessary to have a partnership but having said that, I think it makes sense to the community." He noted a deal worked out in Kentucky to overcome the state's resistance to the merger of the University of Louisville with Catholic Health Initiative’s Kentucky operations: Women's health services will be run by the university unchanged, with no say from the church.

In the Kentucky deal, CHI would invest $543.5 million of investment in university medical operations during the first five years of the JOA, according to Insider Louisville. No such investment has been talked about publicly in Arkansas.

Tags: , , , , ,


Favorite

Comments (4)

Showing 1-4 of 4

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-4 of 4

Add a comment

More by Leslie Newell Peacock

  • Kaleidoscope Film Festival continues

    And much more.
    • Aug 16, 2018
  • A miscellany of art: Aug. 10-16

    We don't get to post all the jpegs of artwork on exhibit that come into the office, but they have more allure and tell you more about the work than what I can write about them. Hence this slideshow of work from shows opening tonight (Aug. 10) for 2nd Friday Art Night, 5-8 p.m. (see the To Do list for more information), and other openings and shows this weekend and in the days ahead.
    • Aug 10, 2018
  • Majority: Red-light 30 Crossing

    But ARDOT's project to widen the interstate is preordained, some believe.
    • Aug 9, 2018
  • More »

Readers also liked…

  • Women's March planned in Arkansas to mark Trump inauguration

    Speaking of Donald Trump and in answer to a reader's question: There will be a women's march in Arkansas on Jan. 21, the day after inauguration, as well as the national march planned in Washington.
    • Dec 30, 2016
  • Trump immigration protest at LR: Quick and fierce

    It was not even 24 hours ago that Sophia Said, director of the Interfaith Center; City Director Kathy Webb and others decided to organize a protest today of Donald Trump's executive order that has left people from Muslim countries languishing in airports or unable to come to the US at all — people with visas, green cards,a  post-doc graduate student en route to Harvard, Google employees abroad, families. I got the message today before noon; others didn't find out until it was going on. But however folks found out, they turned out in huge numbers, more than thousand men, women and children, on the grounds of the state Capitol to listen to speakers from all faiths and many countries.
    • Jan 29, 2017
  • Your daily dose of Jason Rapert

    Sen. Jason Rapert really, really didn't like it when a KATV reporter asked him about the hypocrisy of his political arguments.
    • Feb 4, 2017

Most Recent Comments

Slideshows

 

© 2018 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation