CORRECTION: Claims Commission hasn't ruled on death claim | Arkansas Blog

Monday, December 17, 2012

CORRECTION: Claims Commission hasn't ruled on death claim

Posted By on Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 3:45 PM

CORRECTION: The Arkansas Claims Commission has NOT yet issued a ruling on the claim for $5 million from the estate of a man killed in 2009 by a former Division of Youth Services charge who had been released by the DYS.

I posted here here earlier an erroneous item, based on a misinterpretation of a docket sheet distributed by the Commission, that the full amount of the claim had been awarded. A spokesman for the law firm pressing the claim said a fax received by media on which the report here and elsewhere was based only stated the higher $5 million claim sought by the estate, but the firm still hasn't received findings from the Commission.

Maurice "Beau" Clark, 67, was killed during a June 2009 home-invasion robbery by Antonio Terry and three accomplices. Terry, who was 17 at the time of the robbery, reportedly beat Clark then executed him with a shot to the head after helping to ransack his home for valuables. Terry was later sentenced to 65 years in prison.

Attorneys for Clark's estate argued on November 14 that Terry had been identified as a danger to society by DYS caseworkers, and yet was released anyway. After DYS was found liable in the case, attorneys for the DYS argued that a $200,000 award would be sufficent. The $5 million dollar award was the top end of what attorneys for Clark's family had requested from the Claims Commission,

Story on damages hearing.

Tags: , ,


Favorite

Comments

Showing 1-1 of 1

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-1 of 1

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

  • Feds bust Central Arkansas drug ring

    The U.S. attorney's office in Little Rock announced today the indictment of 31 people on 53 drug, gun and money laundering charges in a Central Arkansas drug distribution operation supplied from California.
    • Sep 20, 2018
  • Six Supreme Court justices found to have violated ethics code

    The Arkansas Judicial and Disability Commission has announced the filing of formal charges of ethics violations against six members of the Arkansas Supreme Court for their handling of a case involving Circuit Judge Wendell Griffen.
    • Sep 20, 2018
  • Thursday's open line

    A light news day unless your name is Brett Kavanaugh. Here's the open line.
    • Sep 20, 2018
  • More »

Readers also liked…

Slideshows

Most Viewed

  • Six Supreme Court justices found to have violated ethics code

    The Arkansas Judicial and Disability Commission has announced the filing of formal charges of ethics violations against six members of the Arkansas Supreme Court for their handling of a case involving Circuit Judge Wendell Griffen.
  • Clarke Tucker punches an absent French Hill in TV 'debate'

    Democratic state Rep. Clarke Tucker took full advantage of Republican incumbent Rep. French Hill's refusal to participate in a TV debate on Channel 7 last night with a series of jabs at Hill on policy issues and for avoiding debate.
  • Blasey Ford prepared to testify, with conditions

    Christine Blasey Ford, who's accused Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh of sexually assaulting her when they were in high school, has said she's willing to testify before the Senate Judiciary Committee, but not on Monday as Republicans have demanded.
  • Feds bust Central Arkansas drug ring

    The U.S. attorney's office in Little Rock announced today the indictment of 31 people on 53 drug, gun and money laundering charges in a Central Arkansas drug distribution operation supplied from California.
  • Voter ID law before the Arkansas Supreme Court

    The Arkansas Supreme Court heard oral arguments today on the state's appeal of a ruling invalidating the voter ID law passed in 2017.

Most Recent Comments

 

© 2018 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation