UPDATE: Arkansas death toll at 14 from Sunday night tornado; governor meets reporters | Arkansas Blog

Monday, April 28, 2014

UPDATE: Arkansas death toll at 14 from Sunday night tornado; governor meets reporters

Posted By on Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 6:29 AM

I-40 DAMAGE: An aerial drone snapped this photo of damage along the freeway near Mayflower, hard hit by Sunday's tornado. - TWITTER
  • Twitter
  • I-40 DAMAGE: An aerial drone snapped this photo of damage along the freeway near Mayflower, hard hit by Sunday's tornado.

UPDATE: At mid-morning, with Gov. Mike Beebe and other officials in Mayflower to talk about storm damage in Mayflower, the state Department of Emergency Management, Beebe said the death toll had been reduced from the original 16 to 14. Two people in Pulaski County were counted twice.

He said at a news conference that there was uncertainty about whether that total could grow as search of destroyed homes and businesses continued. Beebe said emergency response at the state and federal level had been all it could be.

At his news conference, a resident of the tornado zone complained about difficulty returning to the area because of efforts to limit access to essential people. But Beebe said anyone with a legitimate reason to be in the area would be allowed in and he promised help to a woman who complained. "If somebody messes up, we'll try to fix it for you," he said.

Beebe also related a story he'd heard from a storm victim of the death of one woman who'd taken shelter in a home "safe room." The home was destroyed, but the safe room mostly withstood the storm. But Beebe said he'd been told a caved-in door took the woman's life.

Others at the session praised early warning systems for getting them and family members into shelter ahead of the tornado.

From earlier this morning:

The Arkansas Department of Emergency Management is reporting 16 deaths as a result of the Sunday night storm system that tore across Pulaski, Faulkner and White counties. Coverage this morning is adding graphic evidence of devastation in Vilonia. At least 19 injured people from Faulkner County were admitted to hospitals — 9 in Conway and 10 in Little Rock, some with major trauma. Conway Regional treated 100 people. Arkansas Children's said it received 18 patients.

The ADEM website lists 10 deaths in Faulkner County, five in Pulaski County and one in White County. Damage also was reported in Independence and Jackson counties. UPDATE: The Pulaski toll was reduced to three, in a single family.

Here's a mashup of photos posted on Twitter last night.

President Obama also spoke on the disaster during a foreign trip and promised federal help.


Tags: , ,

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments (11)

Showing 1-11 of 11

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-11 of 11

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Readers also liked…

  • Auditor Lea caught not telling the truth

    State Auditor Andrea Lea, who began her tenure in statewide office with a degree of competence unseen in some other Republican counterparts (think Treasurer Dennis Milligan particularly), is becoming more deeply mired in a political scandal.
    • Mar 4, 2016
  • Antwan Phillips wants to make a difference in reducing Little Rock violence

    KARK/Fox 16's push to do something about Little Rock violence includes a spotlight on people trying to make a difference — in this episode Antwan Phillips, a lawyer at Wright, Lindsey and Jennings.
    • Aug 30, 2017
  • Another Republican miracle-working governor

    Great piece in Washington Post on the budget crisis in Louisiana. Big tax cuts and corporate welfare will do that to a state, particularly to a state whose previous governor, Republican Bobby Jindal, refused to join the Obamacare-funded Medicaid expansion. There's a lesson there for Arkansas.
    • Mar 4, 2016

Most Shared

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation