MAPCO proposal at Third and Broadway is dead | Arkansas Blog

Friday, July 18, 2014

MAPCO proposal at Third and Broadway is dead

Posted By on Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 2:09 PM

NO MAPCO: The chain has dropped its proposal to build a store on the parcel at left.
  • NO MAPCO: The chain has dropped its proposal to build a store on the parcel at left.

The city of Little Rock received a letter today from MAPCO, the convenience store chain, that it was withdrawing its controversial application to build a unit at Third and Broadway.

The letter said the out-of-state family that owns the property had not extended its option on the property to allow for a three-month delay given at a City Board meeting July 1. The letter, a copy of which I expect to receive shortly, said MAPCO still hoped to find a downtown location for one of its stores. They include gas pumps and a store with some prepared food and typically operate 24 hours a day.

Opposition to the plan built after the Planning Commission approved it.  Two delays of consideration of the matter by the City Board reflected strong resistance among the board. Mayor Mark Stodola had indicated to me last night that the project wasn't likely to go forward, though he had not previously made a public statement on the proposal. The Downtown Little Rock Partnership and the Coalition of Little Rock Neighborhoods were among the opponents.

The withdrawal of the proposal takes a few directors off the hot seat. The idea lacked any sign of popular support, except from old-line real estate man Dickson Flake, working for MAPCO. But several had not yet expressed an opinion on the issue as it dragged on.

Pulaski County officials said they hoped, if the deal fell through, to talk to property owners about expanding county use of the property, a half block along Third between Broadway and Arch. The county, with an administration building across Broadway, has been leasing a former paint and body shop building on the property for parking. The major part of the parcel once was leased for a bank branch, but it is no longer in operation.

County officials objected to the plan because of fear of safety for employees. Traffic was a concern at what is a dangerous intersection. And some felt the development was out of place so close to historic government buildings and the under-renovation Robinson Auditorium.


Tags: , ,

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments (6)

Showing 1-6 of 6

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-6 of 6

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

  • Annals of the Granite Mountain 'dumping ground'

    The Little Rock City Board is set to approve an expansion of mining closer to the Granite Mountain neighborhood, long treated as a dumping ground by the city.
    • Jul 22, 2017
  • Playground fire at Gibbs school

    Another Little Rock School District playground fire, this one about 5:45 p.m. Friday at Gibbs Elementary.
    • Jul 22, 2017
  • Another week done

    The Friday line is open. From the White House to the Ole Miss outhouse in the news roundup today.
    • Jul 21, 2017
  • More »

Readers also liked…

  • Al Gore remembers Dale Bumpers

    Former Vice President Al Gore, a former U.S. Senate colleague of Dale Bumpers, sent a statement on Bumpers' death Friday:
    • Jan 3, 2016
  • Is Arkansas in or out on Kobach voter data effort?

    The Washington Post has published a map that counts Arkansas as among states that will "partially comply" with a sweeping request for voter data by the so-called election integrity commission set up by Donald Trump in an effort to cast doubt on Hillary Clinton's 3 million-vote popular defeat of him in 2016.
    • Jul 2, 2017
  • In Little Rock, Marco Rubio sells American exceptionalism

    This is Rubio's axiomatic answer to Donald Trump's insistence that he and he alone will Make America Great Again: America is the greatest, always has been.
    • Feb 22, 2016

People who saved…

Most Shared

  • So much for a school settlement in Pulaski County

    The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette's Cynthia Howell got the scoop on what appears to be coming upheaval in the Pulaski County School District along with the likely end of any chance of a speedy resolution of school desegregation issues in Pulaski County.
  • Riverfest calls it quits

    The board of directors of Riverfest, Arkansas's largest and longest running music festival, announced today that the festival will no longer be held. Riverfest celebrated its 40th anniversary in June. A press release blamed competition from other festivals and the rising cost of performers fees for the decision.
  • Football for UA Little Rock

    Andrew Rogerson, the new chancellor at UA Little Rock, has decided to study the cost of starting a major college football team on campus (plus a marching band). Technically, it would be a revival of football, dropped more than 60 years ago when the school was a junior college.
  • Turn to baseball

    When the world threatens to get you down, there is always baseball — an absorbing refuge, an alternate reality entirely unto itself.

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation