LR School Board extends superintendent's contract by an additional year | Arkansas Blog

Thursday, September 25, 2014

LR School Board extends superintendent's contract by an additional year

Posted By on Thu, Sep 25, 2014 at 11:51 PM

The Little Rock School Board voted tonight to extend Superintendent Dexter Suggs' contract by an additional year, as anticipated. The vote was split 4-3, with members Greg Adams, Norma Jean Johnson, Leslie Fisken and Jody Carreiro approving the contract extension, which included a 1 percent pay raise. C.E. McAdoo, Tara Shephard and Dianne Curry voted not to extend the contract.

For Johnson and Carreiro, who lost elections last week, the vote was their last major action as members of the board. Their replacements, Joy Springer and Jim Ross, will be sworn in as soon as tomorrow.

Suggs is just beginning the second year of the three-year contract he signed when he began his tenure as superintendent about a year ago. The extension tacks on an additional year to what remained of the original contract, meaning Suggs is now signed on for a three year period once again.

McAdoo and Curry said their votes were not against Suggs himself. "I want to continue, not extend," McAdoo said. "It just has not been enough time for me." Curry acknowledged that improvements had been made in the past year, but added, "I'd like to have seen more in academic improvement." Shephard declined to comment on her vote.

As for the incoming members, Springer said she had no comment on the vote. Ross said it was "frustrating" that the board had taken a lame duck vote on the contract, "but there's nothing we can do about it." He said that he'd have said much the same thing as McAdoo. "The question is, can [Suggs] work with the new board? Will he follow our directions? He will. He's a smart man."

Johnson said that voting to extend Suggs' contract was necessary because, "the public is watching...we have to show some stability. We can't just keep bouncing people around." Adams, the current board president, emphasized that re-upping the contract is "a vote of confidence in the superintendent." Afterwards, he expressed confidence that the board — including its new membership — could still partner effectively with the superintendent. "I faithfully believe that every one of us who's going to be on the board next month is going to work together with Dr. Suggs," said Adams.

Here's a couple of other items of interest the board also heard this evening:

*HALL HIGH: the board also unanimously approved the establishment of a planning committee to begin studying a possible restructuring of Hall High School, which Suggs told the board is now the lowest-performing school of any in the LRSD (elementary or secondary).

Any concrete recommendations on such a change are far, far away, but some are concerned that the restructuring could put a stop to effective programs at the school — especially the Newcomers' Center, which is the LRSD's main program for the city's growing population of high-school-age Latino students. Teachers from Hall and representatives from LULAC, which advocates for the Latino community, voiced those concerns at the beginning of tonight's board meeting.

A final report on whether and how a restructuring of Hall might occur is due to the board on January.

*OVERCROWDED MIDDLE SCHOOLS: During the public comment section of the meeting, a number of parents and students from Dunbar Middle School spoke about problems created by overcrowded and underequipped facilities there, including keyboarding classes with no computers, classrooms with more students than seats and over 30 fights in the first few weeks of class. In the weeks since this school year began, there's been talk of student placement problems at other middle schools as well. Parents at Pulaski Heights Middle School have complained recently of haphazard schedule changes and classes filled past capacity.

Later, Suggs acknowledged that "we dropped the ball on Dunbar”, but said the problems were now being addressed by the district. He also said the reconfiguring of two middle schools, Forest Heights and Geyer Springs, have “caused some other hiccups along the way” in other buildings.

Support for education reporting provided by the Arkansas Public Policy Panel.

Tags: , , , ,

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments (9)

Showing 1-9 of 9

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-9 of 9

Add a comment

More by Benjamin Hardy

Readers also liked…

  • Jason Rapert vs. Wikipedia

    Sen. Jason Rapert against the world: Wikipedia edition.
    • Jan 23, 2016
  • Satanic Temple: Make Rapert pay for Ten Commandments monument

    A petition drive has begun to encourage a demand that Sen. Jason Rapert pay for the legal fees in defending his Ten Commandments monument proposed for the state Capitol grounds. It's more work by the Satanic Temple, which has fought church-state entanglement around the country.
    • Aug 28, 2016
  • Charter school accountability: Non-existent in Arkansas

    A state audit finds charter school spending violated state law, but the state Education Department says it has no responsibility for ensuring proper management of charter schools. Say what?
    • Mar 5, 2016

Most Shared

Most Viewed

  • Troubles mount for Sen. Jake Files. Maybe others, too

    Sen. Jakes Files has serious problems, based on an FBI affidavit filed Monday in Fort Smith. One new question is how many other legislators have problems based on spending of state surplus money?
  • There is life other than football, UAMS indicates

    UAMS has announced that it will be open for business as usual on Aug. 31, even though a football game will be taking place that night at War Memorial Stadium.
  • Lawsuit filed against 'election integrity' commission

    A voting rights group has filed a lawsuit against the so-called election integrity commission that's likely nothing a Trump vehicle for voter roll purges. Talking Points Memo reports.
  • Artist Dale Chihuly's court battle

    Dale Chihuly, the visionary artist whose work is currently on exhibit at Crystal Bridges, is the subject of a New York Times feature today about an ongoing court battle and the condition of the 75-year-old artist.
  • Another bank acquisition for Arvest

    Arvest Bank, the Walton banking enterprise, is acquiring Bear State Financial, led by Richard Massey, for $391 million, all cash. Bear State, based in Arkansas, has 42 branches and other operations in Arkansas, Missouri and Oklahoma.

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation