Pryor campaign declines KARK-4 debate | Arkansas Blog

Monday, September 29, 2014

Pryor campaign declines KARK-4 debate

Posted By on Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 7:24 PM

The Pryor campaign today informed KARK-4 that Sen. Mark Pryor would not participate in a proposed debate with Rep. Tom Cotton hosted by the station. See here for background on KARK's proposed event, which Chuck Todd, host of NBC's Meet the Press, said that he would come to Little Rock to host. 

KARK had previously proposed a debate without a commitment from Pryor but sought to put the pressure on with a splash of publicity from Todd. Cotton immediately accepted the proposal. The deadline for a response from the Pryor camp was the end of the day Wednesday. 

Pryor deputy campaign manager Erik Dorey said that the campaign had said from the beginning that it first wanted to nail down debates in Fayetteville, hosted by the Chamber of Commerce, and in Conway, hosted by AETN. Cotton is participating in the Fayetteville debate but has not yet committed to the AETN debate. Dorey said that the Pryor campaign's position has been that it would only consider other proposals once Cotton agreed to the debate in Conway. He said the Pryor campaign didn't feel comfortable making an exception for Channel 4 after not accepting offers from various other groups, such as UALR and Fox News, for that reason. 

For more of the back and forth between the Cotton and Pryor campaigns over debates, see here. Expect the Cotton camp to slam Pryor for declining the KARK debate and expect the Pryor camp to slam Cotton for (so far) not accepting the AETN debate. 

Here's the letter sent by the Pryor campaign to KARK (owned by Nexstar): 

After further consideration of Nexstar's proposal, I'm sorry to say that we have reached the same conclusion as before.

After accepting two statewide debates months ago, our position has been consistent: when Rep. Cotton agrees to meet us in Fayetteville and Conway, we'll consider other proposals. I've told that to countless would-be debate organizers, many of whom put forward good faith proposals such as your own.

We honestly never expected Cotton's camp to drag their feet on AETN, which, as you know, has always been a staple for statewide candidates in Arkansas.

To change our position now and agree to Nextstar's proposal would invite fair criticism from other media outlets both in-state and national, as well as numerous associations, student groups and stakeholders — all of whom I've had to tell the same thing.

Once again, I regret that we reached this point and appreciate your continued commitment to covering this race for Arkansans.

Best,

Jeff

Jeff Weaver
Campaign Manager
U.S. Senator Mark Pryor

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments (3)

Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

More by David Ramsey

Readers also liked…

  • Judge Griffen: Why black lives matter

    Another few words from Judge Wendell Griffen growing from the controversy over the sale of Black Lives Matter T-shirts at the state black history museum — removed by the administration and restored after protests from Griffen and others stirred by a story in the Arkansas Times:
    • Mar 13, 2016
  • Sabin's subterfuge in the race for mayor has roots in rigged city government

    The Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reports that an ethics complaint has been filed saying that the exploratory committee Rep. Warwick Sabin created to prepare for a run for Little Rock mayor was a subterfuge to avoid the city ordinance that doesn't allow campaign fundraising to begin until five months before the November 2018 election.Of course it is.
    • Aug 10, 2017
  • The long and winding road: No exception yet for 30 Crossing

    The Arkansas highway department's representative on the Metroplan board of directors told the board today that the department is requesting an exception to the planning agency's cap on six lanes for its 30 Crossing project to widen Interstate 30 from six to 10 (and more) lanes.
    • Jun 29, 2016

Most Shared

  • ASU to reap $3.69 million from estate of Jim and Wanda Lee Vaughn

    Arkansas State University announced today plans for spending an expected $3.69 million gift in the final distribution of the estate of Jim and Wanda Lee Vaughn, who died in 2013 and 2015 respectively.
  • Bad health care bill, again

    Wait! Postpone tax reform and everything else for a while longer because the Senate is going to try to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act one more time before September ends and while it can do it with the votes of only 50 senators.
  • Sex on campus

    Look, the Great Campus Rape Crisis was mainly hype all along. What Vice President Joe Biden described as an epidemic of sexual violence sweeping American college campuses in 2011 was vastly overstated.
  • The inadequate legacy of Brown

    LRSD continues to abdicate its responsibility to educate poor black students.

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation