Man with Ebola symptoms at Clinton hospital; false alarm | Arkansas Blog

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Man with Ebola symptoms at Clinton hospital; false alarm

Posted By on Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Ozark Health Medical Center, in Clinton.
  • Ozark Health Medical Center, in Clinton.


Van Buren County Sheriff Scott Bradley
tells the Times that a man who came to Ozark Health Medical Center in Clinton this morning with symptoms similar to those of Ebola is "in the clear," but referred all further inquiry to hospital administrator David Deaton. Deaton has not returned a call from the Times. Bradley said he and Deaton and County Judge Roger Hooper met together this morning to discuss the situation.

KATV reported that the hospital was on a "precautionary lockdown" but that the patient was at low risk for Ebola. Department of Health spokesperson Kerry Krell said the hospital had notified the department. She could confirm only that the patient was segregated from other patients "in an abundance of caution" after telling staff he'd been in one of the affected countries. She could not confirm what his symptoms were.

UPDATE: Fox 16 quotes the Arkansas Health Department as saying definitively that the man does NOT HAVE EBOLA.

UPDATE II: Ozark Health CEO Deaton tells us that the hospital was never on lockdown, but that the patient was isolated and the part of the hospital where he was held blocked off. He said general blood tests (rather than a specific test for Ebola, available at just a few facilities) ruled out the virus. Ozark Health has posted signs at nearly every entrance, he said, asking visitors to identify if they have been to any of the countries in West Africa where the outbreak is occurring. "Our staff did an extraordinarily professional job," he said. 

UPDATE III: Fountain Lake (home of state Rep. Bruce Westerman, a leading Republican Ebola fear-monger) canceled its junior high football game with Clinton today because of the short-lived and erroneous Ebola rumor. Fountain Lake fans are unanimously supportive on Facebook. The school acknowledged that the patient didn't likely have Ebola, but said student safety was the district's number one priority.

Tags: , , ,


Sign up for the Daily Update email
Favorite

Comments (4)

Showing 1-4 of 4

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-4 of 4

Add a comment

More by Leslie Newell Peacock

  • UAMS restarts cardiac surgery program

    The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, which had to suspend its cardiac surgical care in May when its heart surgeon, Dr. Gareth Tobler, retired before a new hire had been made, has resumed its program.
    • Jul 13, 2018
  • A new design for 30 Crossing: No, not narrower.

    The Arkansas Department of Transportation has made a few changes to the 30 Crossing project that will widen the seven-mile Interstate 30 corridor through North Little Rock and Little Rock, the most significant for downtown Little Rock being the creation of a four-lane Second Street from Mahlon Martin Drive east of I-30 to Cumberland Street west of I-30. The new street would serve as relief from traffic to and from the interstate, to be concentrated at Fourth Street.
    • Jul 12, 2018
  • Arts Center director off to North Carolina

    Todd Herman, the executive director of the Arkansas Arts Center, is leaving the institution for a job at The Mint Museum in Charlotte, N.C.
    • Jul 12, 2018
  • More »

Readers also liked…

  • Former Arkansas Attorney General Dustin McDaniel applauds Trump's EPA choice of climate change denier Scott Pruitt

    Dustin McDaniel gives the thumbs up to a man set to dismantle EPA regulations.
    • Dec 8, 2016
  • Arkansas legislature rejects bipartisan effort to study race relations

    On Friday, the Arkansas Legislative Council soundly rejected a bipartisan effort by two senators to to create a temporary legislative subcommittee to study race relations in the state.
    • Sep 15, 2017
  • Trump immigration protest at LR: Quick and fierce

    It was not even 24 hours ago that Sophia Said, director of the Interfaith Center; City Director Kathy Webb and others decided to organize a protest today of Donald Trump's executive order that has left people from Muslim countries languishing in airports or unable to come to the US at all — people with visas, green cards,a  post-doc graduate student en route to Harvard, Google employees abroad, families. I got the message today before noon; others didn't find out until it was going on. But however folks found out, they turned out in huge numbers, more than thousand men, women and children, on the grounds of the state Capitol to listen to speakers from all faiths and many countries.
    • Jan 29, 2017

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Slideshows

 

© 2018 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation