Sports memorabilia fraud story spotlights Arkansan | Arkansas Blog

Sunday, November 23, 2014

Sports memorabilia fraud story spotlights Arkansan

Posted By on Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 7:38 AM

click to enlarge JOHN ROGERS: In his archives in 2012 photo. - BRIAN CHILSON
  • Brian Chilson
  • JOHN ROGERS: In his archives in 2012 photo.

More today from the New York Daily News
about the federal investigation of fraud in the sports memorabilia business and the involvement of John Rogers of North Little Rock in the probe.

Rogers has said he's cooperating with authorities and  recently  gave up much of his archival photo business to his wife in a divorce  settlement. The Daily News reports some details of what could be involved, based on court records in a civil suit:

Justice Department officials are usually reluctant to talk about ongoing cases, but a lawsuit filed earlier this year by San Francisco collector Mark Roberts provides a rare peek into the Chicago investigation: Court papers indicate Rogers is under scrutiny because he sold Roberts, a wealthy Bay Area resident, what were described as vintage and valuable photos of 19th and early 20th century baseball players that turned out to be reproductions worth far less than what Roberts paid for them.

The lawsuit, filed in California Superior Court, names Rogers and his photo archive company as defendants and claims the Arkansas businessman sold the photos to Roberts “at greatly inflated prices, at least 20 times their true value.”

The lawsuit says Roberts paid more than $2.5 million for almost 3,000 photographs between 2006 and 2010. Roberts bought the photos to display on “The National Pastime Museum,” a website dedicated to sharing baseball’s long history with fans. He learned there were questions about the photos’ authenticity in 2013, when the curator of the website, baseball historian Frank Ceresi, consulted with the FBI and experts from the New York Public Library.

...The lawsuit also raises questions about Rogers’ relationship with baseball memorabilia dealer Peter Nash, the former hip-hop artist who gained fame in the late 1980s as “Prime Minister Pete Nice” of the group 3rd Bass. The FBI, according to court papers and a source familiar with the investigation, questioned a longtime acquaintance of Nash’s this summer about the former rapper’s ties to what the Roberts lawsuit describes as a “not authentic” 1858 trophy ball.

The story has much more on the disputed property. Rogers and his attorney didn't respond to requests for comment. It said he had taken back much of the material sold to Roberts and agreed to a repayment of some of the money.

Tags: , ,


Favorite

Comments (2)

Showing 1-2 of 2

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-2 of 2

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

  • Governor responds to Medicaid work rule lawsuit

    Gov. Asa Hutchinson has responded sharply to the lawsuit challenging the legality of the state's new work requirement for Medicaid coverage and also criticizing the online-only reporting requirement. His statement:
    • Aug 14, 2018
  • That Medicaid 'work' rule keeps on 'working'

    The latest numbers from the Department of Human Services show  thousands more people did not meet the reporting requirement on work hours in July to meet Medicaid eligibility standards.
    • Aug 14, 2018
  • LRSD school registration problems

    Vincent Tolliver, a candidate for Little Rock, mayor, has written legislators asking the Senate Education Committee to ask Education Commissioner Johnny Key to testify about problems encountered by parents on Monday, the first day of school in the state-run Little Rock School District.
    • Aug 14, 2018
  • More »

Readers also liked…

  • Women's March planned in Arkansas to mark Trump inauguration

    Speaking of Donald Trump and in answer to a reader's question: There will be a women's march in Arkansas on Jan. 21, the day after inauguration, as well as the national march planned in Washington.
    • Dec 30, 2016
  • Trump immigration protest at LR: Quick and fierce

    It was not even 24 hours ago that Sophia Said, director of the Interfaith Center; City Director Kathy Webb and others decided to organize a protest today of Donald Trump's executive order that has left people from Muslim countries languishing in airports or unable to come to the US at all — people with visas, green cards,a  post-doc graduate student en route to Harvard, Google employees abroad, families. I got the message today before noon; others didn't find out until it was going on. But however folks found out, they turned out in huge numbers, more than thousand men, women and children, on the grounds of the state Capitol to listen to speakers from all faiths and many countries.
    • Jan 29, 2017
  • Your daily dose of Jason Rapert

    Sen. Jason Rapert really, really didn't like it when a KATV reporter asked him about the hypocrisy of his political arguments.
    • Feb 4, 2017

Most Recent Comments

  • Re: Tuesday's headlines and the open line

    • I agree SP. "Mark Zaid, a Washington-based attorney who focuses on government and national security,…

    • on August 14, 2018
  • Re: Manafort will offer no defense case

    • It's going to be interesting to see if the judge's obvious bias against the prosecution…

    • on August 14, 2018
  • Re: Tuesday's headlines and the open line

    • AI, my understanding of Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDAs) is government workers cannot legally sign away their…

    • on August 14, 2018

Slideshows

 

© 2018 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation