Arkansas: Easiest state to be a 1 percenter | Arkansas Blog

Monday, January 26, 2015

Arkansas: Easiest state to be a 1 percenter

Posted By on Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 11:19 AM

click to enlarge onepercenters.jpg


Here from The New Republic is
a good news/bad news kind of report about Arkansas.

It takes less annual income to be in the top 1 percent in Arkansas than any other state — $228,000. So elitism is within reach. The downside, of course, is our overall poor ranking. Remember that 40 percent of Arkansas income tax filers make less than $21,000. Gov. Asa Hutchinson apparently views them as lucky ducks. He hasn't included them in his proposed income tax bill, focusing instead on people making $21,000 to $75,000. To Hutchinson's credit, he is taking away a top bracket tax cut and capital gains cut for the highest-paid taxpayers.

More good news for Arkansas 1 percenters from the report:

The remaining states in which the top 1 percent captured half or more of income growth between 2009 and 2012 include Alabama (where 98.9 percent of all income growth was captured by the top 1 percent), Illinois (97.2 percent), Texas (86.8 percent), Arkansas (83.7 percent), Michigan (82.0 percent), New Jersey (80.5 percent), Maryland (80.5 percent), Nebraska (74.9 percent), Kansas (74.4 percent), Ohio (71.9 percent), Wisconsin (69.6 percent), Oklahoma (69.2 percent), Tennessee (68.5 percent), Iowa (65.0 percent), Georgia (63.6 percent), New Hampshire (59.5 percent), Arizona (59.0 percent), Maine (58.3 percent), Oregon (57.3 percent), Utah (56.6 percent), Minnesota (56.0 percent), and South Dakota (53.4 percent).

Noted: The AVERAGE income of the top 1 percent was $895,8444. I guess the Walton billionaires left the overall average considerably. The average income of the remaining 99 percent of taxpayers is $34,179. Arkansas ranked 13th in inequality, with the average for 1 percenters 26.2 times that of the bottom 99 percent.

More fun with Arkansas numbers: The top tenth of one percent income earners all make more than $6.7 million, with their average income about $30.8 million. With 1.2 million taxpayers, that means about 1,200 people in Arkansas are making more than $6.7 million a year. 

From 1979 to 2007, Arkansas's real income grew 35 percent. But income in the top 1 percent grew by 121.6 percent, while it grew only 25.6 percent for the bottom 99 percent. The 1 percent captured 34 percent of all income growth.

Bottom line: Income inequality has reached a point it hasn't seen since the 1920s.

Tags: , , , ,

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments

Showing 1-1 of 1

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-1 of 1

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Readers also liked…

  • Auditor Lea caught not telling the truth

    State Auditor Andrea Lea, who began her tenure in statewide office with a degree of competence unseen in some other Republican counterparts (think Treasurer Dennis Milligan particularly), is becoming more deeply mired in a political scandal.
    • Mar 4, 2016
  • Two plead in fraud of sheriff's office

    A former employee of the Pulaski County sheriff and a North Little Rock woman who sold goods to the sheriff's office have pleaded guilty to mail fraud in a scheme to steal from the sheriff's office, according to a news release from the U.S. attorney's office.
    • May 16, 2017
  • Another Republican miracle-working governor

    Great piece in Washington Post on the budget crisis in Louisiana. Big tax cuts and corporate welfare will do that to a state, particularly to a state whose previous governor, Republican Bobby Jindal, refused to join the Obamacare-funded Medicaid expansion. There's a lesson there for Arkansas.
    • Mar 4, 2016

Most Shared

  • 'Cemetery angel' Ruth Coker Burks featured in new short film

    Ruth Coker Burks, the AIDS caregiver and activist memorably profiled by David Koon as the cemetery angel in Arkansas Times in 2015, is now the subject of a short film made by actress Rose McGowan.
  • Buyer remorse

    Out here in flyover country, you can't hardly go by the feed store without running into a reporter doing one of those Wisdom of the Heartland stories.
  • Not Whitewater

    Just think: If Democrats had turned out 78,000 more votes in three states in November, people could be reveling today in the prospect of impeaching and convicting President Hillary Clinton, not Donald Trump, as some Republican lawmakers had promised to try to do if she won.
  • Head-shaking

    Another edition of so-much-bad-news-so-little space.

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation