Guilty plea entered in attack on power grid | Arkansas Blog

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Guilty plea entered in attack on power grid

Posted By on Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 6:04 PM

JASON WOODRING: Pleads in power line case.
  • JASON WOODRING: Pleads in power line case.

The U.S. attorney announced late today that Jason Woodring, 38, of Jacksonville, had pleaded guilty to charges from damages he did to Central Arkansas's power grid in August and October of 2013. He'll get 15 years in prison if a judge approves the deal.

The Times' Will Stephenson told the tale of Woodring in a cover story last June.

Woodring sabotaged an electric support tower, bringing down a 500,000-volt power line onto railroad tracks near Cabot; set fire to a high voltage switching station near Cabot, and cut down two power poles that interrupted service to 9,000 people in Jacksonville. The government put the damages at more than $4.6 million.

He was charged in an eight-count indictment in November 2013. Said a news release:

Pursuant to a plea agreement with the United States, Woodring pleaded guilty to Destruction of an Energy Facility for downing the Cabot power lines (Count Two) and for setting fire to the Scott power station (Count Three). He also pleaded guilty to Using Fire to Commit a Felony (Count Four) in relation to the arson in Scott. Finally, Woodring pleaded guilty to being an illegal drug user in possession of various firearms and ammunition (Count Eight) and agreed to forfeit the firearms and ammunition.

U.S. Attorney Chris Thyer praised multiple agencies for help in the investigation.

Judge Billy Roy Wilson will sentence Woodring June 18. He'll set a restitution amount at that time.


Tags: , , , ,


Favorite

Comments

Subscribe to this thread:

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

  • Clarke Tucker challenges French HIll to series of debates

    Clarke Tucker, the Democratic candidate for 2nd District Congress, has called on Republican incumbent Rep. French Hill to reconsider his refusal to participate in a televised debate in September and to join him for a series of three debates.
    • Aug 15, 2018
  • Abduction suspect arrested during threatened jump from bridge

    Danny Trent Barrows, 38, wanted for abducting his child earlier in the week, was arrested Wednesday as he attempted to jump off an Interstate 49 bridge near Mountainburg.
    • Aug 15, 2018
  • Wage campaign reports financial backer

    Arkansans for a Fair Wage, the committee backing an increase in the state minimum wage, reported this month a $350,000 contribution from the Sixteen Thirty Fund, a Washington-based nonprofit that has funded advocacy campaigns for social and environmental causes around the country.
    • Aug 15, 2018
  • More »

Readers also liked…

  • Women's March planned in Arkansas to mark Trump inauguration

    Speaking of Donald Trump and in answer to a reader's question: There will be a women's march in Arkansas on Jan. 21, the day after inauguration, as well as the national march planned in Washington.
    • Dec 30, 2016
  • The LR chamber does the public's business. Is it accountable? Blue Hog on the case.

    Matt Campbell, lawyer and Blue Hog Report blogger, has sent a Freedom of Information Act request to Jay Chessir, director of the Little Rock Regional Chamber of Commerce, and Mayor Mark Stodola related to the publicity stunt yesterday  built around withdrawing from the mayor's rash pronouncement that the city would seek an Amazon HQ2 project even though the city  didn't meet the company's criteria.
    • Oct 20, 2017
  • Tom Cotton's influence on Trump's new security chief

    U.S. Sen. Tom Cotton is getting credit for pushing President Donald Trump to select Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster as his national security adviser, Politico reports.
    • Feb 21, 2017

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Slideshows

 

© 2018 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation