The memo that set off hot response from two Supreme Court justices | Arkansas Blog

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

The memo that set off hot response from two Supreme Court justices

Posted By on Wed, Mar 18, 2015 at 7:20 AM

click to enlarge JUDGE GARY ARNOLD: The Benton judge's memo set off two justices.
  • JUDGE GARY ARNOLD: The Benton judge's memo set off two justices.
The Arkansas Blog reported yesterday the steamy letters fired off by Supreme Court Jistices Karen Baker and Jo Hart in response to a memo from Judge Gary Arnold, president of the Arkansas Judicial Council, about the deliberations of the independent citizens commission which Monday finalized a round of big pay increases for judges.

Justices Baker and Hart had appeared at a public hearing to complain that the 11 percent pay raises for them, to $166,500, weren't big enough. They were mentioned in a brief report later by Arnold, who'd been following the proceedings for the judges' organization. The group meets on matters of shared concern and, among others, hires a lobbyist to represent judges in legislative matters.

Last night, I got a copy of the Arnold memo that set the justices off.

He wrote that he had said in a letter in early February that judges should bring concerns about pay to the special committee working on the issue "in an effort to present as unified a position as possible." But, he said,  "unexpected presentations by two of our members generated some media responses" and said the effect on the commission itself was unknown. "I will ask the Judicial Council Supreme Court liaison Committee to discuss and suggest ways to facilitate more open communication within the Council in the future."

If this seems tame, the two justices clearly didn't think so.




Tags: , , , , ,


Favorite

Comments (9)

Showing 1-9 of 9

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-9 of 9

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Readers also liked…

  • Trump immigration protest at LR: Quick and fierce

    It was not even 24 hours ago that Sophia Said, director of the Interfaith Center; City Director Kathy Webb and others decided to organize a protest today of Donald Trump's executive order that has left people from Muslim countries languishing in airports or unable to come to the US at all — people with visas, green cards,a  post-doc graduate student en route to Harvard, Google employees abroad, families. I got the message today before noon; others didn't find out until it was going on. But however folks found out, they turned out in huge numbers, more than thousand men, women and children, on the grounds of the state Capitol to listen to speakers from all faiths and many countries.
    • Jan 29, 2017
  • French Hill votes against disaster aid to Puerto Rico

    Republican U.S. Rep. French Hill alone among Arkansas's House delegation voted last week against a measure that provided $36.5 billion in disaster aid, a portion  for hurricane-ravaged Puerto Rico as well as money for wildfire response and to support the flood insurance program.
    • Oct 14, 2017
  • Tom Cotton's influence on Trump's new security chief

    U.S. Sen. Tom Cotton is getting credit for pushing President Donald Trump to select Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster as his national security adviser, Politico reports.
    • Feb 21, 2017

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Slideshows

 

© 2018 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation