State's curious idea of accountability in Little Rock schools | Arkansas Blog

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

State's curious idea of accountability in Little Rock schools

Posted By on Wed, Apr 8, 2015 at 3:12 PM

click to enlarge imgres.jpg
A followup to my item earlier this week about the list of 64 jobs that Dexter Suggs has said could be cut in the former Little Rock School District, now in state receivership. He also recommended a pay reduction for 11 principals.

Additional recommendations by Suggs for the future include 1) a reduction in teacher prep time so they can spend more time with students and, in some cases, teach more classes; 2) a reduction in support for health insurance (a double punishment for lower-paid teachers in a district where beginning pay lagged, but pay for experienced teachers remained competitive with other districts); and 3) a list of other jobs, some of them  instructional in nature, in a future school year.

I was surprised that some particularly incompetent administrators didn't appear on the list of jobs cut. But then I thought, perhaps these people won't be rehired next year, but their jobs will be retained. So I asked for a list of all those certified employees who've been notified they won't be retained this year though their jobs remain. The district is days away from the statutory deadline for providing notice of non-renewal to such employees.

I was told there was no data responsive to my request.

I can only conclude that Suggs, who's acting as interim superintendent under the director of new Education Commissioner Johnny Key, has recommended no one for non-renewal. Which strikes me as strange.

My point:

The state took over the Little Rock School District and abolished the elected school board because six of its 48 schools were judged in academic distress, or scoring below a 50 average on proficiency tests. The whole district was judged a failure.

More than two months after the state takeover, the superintendent of a failed school district, Suggs, still has his job; the leaders of failed schools still have their job; some incompetent administrators still have their jobs and there is, as yet, no document that suggests anyone has been judged unworthy of rehire, though their jobs are perhaps unnecessary. (Suggs has also said, however, that some of those on the list of 64 may yet be hired again in a reshaped administrative structure.)

Did the School Board cause those low test scores? Really? Not the teachers? Not the principals? Not the superintendent?

It's a bizarre notion of accountability.

Tags: , , ,


Sign up for the Daily Update email
Favorite

Comments (10)

Showing 1-10 of 10

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-10 of 10

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

  • Where's the outrage?

    Am I the only person, apart from federal prosecutors, outraged about the criminal enterprise that inveigled itself into a privileged position as an Arkansas taxpayer-financed human services provider to the tune, today, of $43 million a year?
    • Jun 21, 2018
  • Where's the outrage?

    • Jun 21, 2018
  • Rutledge opponent hits her socializing with corporate interests

    Mike Lee, the Democratic candidate for attorney general, has criticized Attorney General Leslie Rutledge over recent reports of her participation at private meetings where corporate interests make big contributions to a political group she heads for access to state legal officers.
    • Jun 21, 2018
  • More »

Readers also liked…

  • Arkansas Supreme Court refuses to rehear invalidation of marijuana act

    The Arkansas Supreme Court today denied a request to rehear its decision invalidating Issue 7, the medical marijuana initiated act.
    • Nov 3, 2016
  • ADEQ denies C&H Hog Farm permit

    The Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality has denied a new permit for the C&H Hog Farms' concentrated animal feeding operation near Mount Judea (Newton County). This is a big and somewhat surprising victory for critics who have viewed C&H's large-scale pig farm and the pig waste it generates as an existential threat to the Buffalo National River.
    • Jan 10, 2018
  • Trump immigration protest at LR: Quick and fierce

    It was not even 24 hours ago that Sophia Said, director of the Interfaith Center; City Director Kathy Webb and others decided to organize a protest today of Donald Trump's executive order that has left people from Muslim countries languishing in airports or unable to come to the US at all — people with visas, green cards,a  post-doc graduate student en route to Harvard, Google employees abroad, families. I got the message today before noon; others didn't find out until it was going on. But however folks found out, they turned out in huge numbers, more than thousand men, women and children, on the grounds of the state Capitol to listen to speakers from all faiths and many countries.
    • Jan 29, 2017

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Slideshows

 

© 2018 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation