'John Doe' sues in Saline County over Ashley Madison data hack | Arkansas Blog

Friday, August 28, 2015

'John Doe' sues in Saline County over Ashley Madison data hack

Posted By on Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 7:41 AM

click to enlarge unknown.jpeg
A lawsuit was filed yesterday in Saline Circuit court by a Benton man using a John Doe alias seeking to represent all those damaged by release of personal information in the hacking of records of Ashley Madison, the website that advertises itself as a way for people to have affairs with married people.

The lawsuit against the Canadian company that operates the site says the company failed to protect its information and failed to give users timely notice of the hack and they'd been damaged as a result. The suit notes that the defendant and others paid for a "paid delete" service that was supposed to scrub records of personal information, but files of users have been widely made available on the web.

The suit said the failure of security measures resulted in the availability of even more personal information from those who thought they'd paid to guarantee deletion. The suit claims the potential for further damage, including identity theft.

The suit was filed by Little Rock lawyers Stephanie Linam, Charles "Skip" Davidson, David Gerstner and Christopher Jennings.

This isn't the first class action lawsuit in the matter.

The suit focuses on promises of confidentiality, potential financial harm and requirements of federal communications law and not on personal embarrassment or damage to family relationships by release of the information. At some point perhaps we'll get to the bottom of whether this site actually facilitated illicit relationships, or whether the overwhelmingly male clientele had been duped into paying to exchange notes with fictitious women, a scenario for which some evidence exists.


Tags: , , ,

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments (10)

Showing 1-10 of 10

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-10 of 10

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

  • Circuit court charge filed against Ten Commandments monument destroyer

    The Pulaski County prosecuting attorney's office filed a direct charge in circuit court today against Michael Tate Reed, who's been held in the county jail since he was arrested June 28 after driving over and demolishing the day-old Ten Commandments monument on the Capitol grounds.
    • Jul 24, 2017
  • Whatever secret bill Senate considers, winners and losers are the same

    The U.S. Senate seems likely to vote Tuesday on a secret health bill. Whatever version is rolled out ā€” and if Sen. John McCain's doctor approves a fly-in so he may vote ā€” the outcome is the same. Bad for working poor and previously sick; good for rich people.
    • Jul 24, 2017
  • Two shot in home on W. 19th

    KARK reports that a 19-year-old woman and 20-year-old man were found with gunshot wounds when police responded to a house in the 4200 block of W. 19th.
    • Jul 24, 2017
  • More »

Readers also liked…

Most Shared

Most Viewed

Most Recent Comments

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation