Groups call on Hutchinson to reinstate those who lost health coverage | Arkansas Blog

Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Groups call on Hutchinson to reinstate those who lost health coverage

Posted By on Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 6:46 AM

click to enlarge 'NO EXCUSES': That's the call for the Hutchinson administration to make amends to people thrown off health insurance after an illegally short period to respond to an income check. - BRIAN CHILSON
  • Brian Chilson
  • 'NO EXCUSES': That's the call for the Hutchinson administration to make amends to people thrown off health insurance after an illegally short period to respond to an income check.

The Arkansas Citizens First Congress has a media event today to call on Gov. Asa Hutchinson to reinstate health insurance coverage for the 50,000 people terminated for failing to respond in the illegally short 10-day window the state had provided for people to respond to a poorly crafted notice of income verification.

The governor has grudgingly agreed to the federal government's demand that the state comply with law and give at least a 30-day window to respond to income eligibility checks. But the state refused to re-start the process and provide any amnesty to the 50,000 or so who lost coverage by Sept. 1.

The Congress and Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families will urge Hutchinson to restore coverage for all except those where there is proof they are no longer eligible. This would make the renewal process more effective and fair. Several who've lost coverage are scheduled to speak at the event at noon in the Old Supreme Courtroom at the Capitol.

A release after the event:



The Arkansas Citizens First Congress and Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families held a joint press conference Wednesday to ask Governor Hutchinson to reinstate coverage for everyone who has been terminated from Medicaid, unless there is proof they are no longer eligible. This decision would make the renewal process more effective and fair for Arkansas families.

Last week, the income verification deadline was extended to 30 days, but this does not help tens of thousands of people who already lost coverage. They are without access to health care while they wait for DHS to consider reinstatement. This process can take weeks, or even months.

“We are hearing stories from people across Arkansas who have cancer, heart disease and other life-threatening conditions that suddenly can not see their doctor, get their prescriptions or have needed procedures because their coverage was unfairly cancelled,” said Mark Robertson, co-chair of the CFC. “Federal regulators say the 10 day process was unfair and we are glad the state is extending it to 30 days for future cases, but something needs to be done now to make it right for the more than 50,000 people who lost coverage under the old and unfair rules.”

Randy Dollar of Jacksonville spoke at the conference about not finding out his insurance was cancelled until he was at the hospital for a heart procedure. He was able to get the procedure done but had a hard time getting prescriptions filled and said the stress it caused him put his health more at risk.

"I don't want any misunderstandings about this," Dollar said. "DHS and Medicaid certainly helped save my life. However there need to be some safeguards so others don't have to go through this. That Day at the hospital when they informed me my coverage had been terminated, I almost walked out the door and came home to die."

Lindsey Reed of Little Rock, a life-long teacher, said she lost her job and her health insurance last year when she suffered a brain injury in an accident. Unable to work, she relied on Medicaid, and her daughter qualified for AR Kids First children’s health insurance. But this month she and her daughter were terminated from the coverage even though she does not even remember seeing a letter from DHS requesting any information from her.

"Without coverage, I can't see my doctors, and my condition won't improve," Reed said. "Please Governor Hutchinson, fix this problem. Do the right thing."

“These families who’ve lost coverage should be reinstated now, without a moment more of delay, while their cases are reviewed,” Robertson said. “Of course people who are no longer eligible should be removed and informed about other options, but the evidence shows a great many people who’ve been terminated so far actually do qualify. We should make sure we treat them fairly while we create a better system for determining whose status has changed so much they no longer need assistance.”

Rich Huddelston, Executive Director of Arkansas Advocates for Children and Families, added that other reforms are needed as well.

“The state needs to dramatically improve their outreach to consumers,” Huddleston said. “In many cases a single letter will not do the trick. They need to be sending out several reminders and possibly make phone calls. These are our most vulnerable citizens and some who are frail or disabled may need additional help meeting the requirements.”

Steve Copley of the Arkansas Interfaith Alliance said that Arkansas has a moral imperative to make sure the system is working before cutting people off from health care.

“Many of the people cut off did their best to comply, but the state mishandled their documents, or they simply didn’t have enough time to respond,” said Rev. Copley. “Others never even knew they were being asked for documentation because the outreach was so poor. If large numbers of people the state is contacting are failing to respond, that is a sign that the state’s strategy needs to be revised. These people deserve to be reinstated until their cases can be reviewed and the state can improve its processes.”

What should consumers do who’ve lost their coverage? “The most important thing for people on Medicaid, AR Kids First or the Private Option to do is send some form of income verification to DHS immediately,” said Huddelston. “If your coverage has been dropped it may take weeks or months for DHS to reinstate it, so get that documentation to DHS as soon as possible. But we should not be putting consumers in this position to begin with.”

Tags: , , , , , ,

From the ArkTimes store

Favorite

Comments (3)

Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

 
Subscribe to this thread:
Showing 1-3 of 3

Add a comment

More by Max Brantley

Readers also liked…

  • LR speakers blast state board for double standard

    A series of speakers, beginning with Sen. Joyce Elliott, denounced what they saw as a hidden agenda favoring charter schools at the state Department of Education and asked the state Board of Education for return of local control.
    • May 12, 2016
  • UPDATE: Hutchinson moves to cover himself on cut to War Memorial Stadium

    Gov. Asa Hutchinson apparently felt the burn from KARK's exclusive Tuesday night on his plans to cut state support of War Memorial Stadium in half beginning July 1, 2018. He has a so-far secret plan to make the stadium self-sustaining. We bet that doesn't include state support.
    • Oct 20, 2016
  • Saturday's open line

    Got any thoughts? Put them here.
    • May 21, 2016

Most Shared

Most Recent Comments

  • Re: Sunday open line

    • There is very little truth in the official narrative being told by the US government…

    • on December 18, 2017
  • Re: Sunday open line

    • The truth is out there.There is very little truth in the official narrative being told…

    • on December 18, 2017
  • Re: Sunday open line

    • There is very little truth in the official narrative told related to the events surrounding…

    • on December 18, 2017

Blogroll

 

© 2017 Arkansas Times | 201 East Markham, Suite 200, Little Rock, AR 72201
Powered by Foundation